Pilot

Start transmission

Transmission received

Time- 8:51:00am Greenwich Mean Time

Day- Monday 11th

Month- November

Year- 2249

Start message:

In the year 2249, a man called Leccy Arc, AKA Inspector Arc, founder, CEO and technician of Arc Fire Detection and Alarm Systems Limited, trading as Arc Fire Detection and Alarms has bought a brand new AFDaA-4002 fire alarm panel and has decided to retrofit an AI based operating system into the panel.

“Let’s see, when building an AI based OS for a fire alarm panel, the human voice is reassuring”.

A moment later, Inspector Arc starts programming the system on his AFDaA-2060-34 handheld programmer PC, as soon as he has finished, Leccy”Lec” Arc/Inspector Arc plugged his handheld programmer PC into the serial port on his panel and pressed “Upload program” and waited. He then unplugged the handheld programmer PC, connected 2 12VDC batteries via the battery leads, plugged the plug into the socket and turned the switch on. Success, the LCD display read “System booting up…” and then the buzzer did a continuous 5 second beep, then the speaker said, “Name”.

“Leccy “Lec” Arc”.

“Hello, Leccy Arc. Please choose a 4-digit access level 2 passcode”!

“My passcode is 2134”.

“Is your passcode 2134”?

“Yes”.

“Good. I am glad”!

“What is my name, Lec”?

“Janice”.

“Ok, I am Janice. The AI based fire alarm control panel that has a human voice”.

“Dedicated to protecting your life and property/family/pets/etc. from fire”.

“Yes, Janice”.

“Lec, please clean my smoke detector”.

“Later, you’ve only been powered up for 30 minutes, just make it wait for now, please”.

“Ok, Leccy Arc”.

Yes, my name is indeed Leccy Arc”.

A few hours later Leccy decided to head to a call out for a system that is in a supervisory condition.

“Sprinkler flow switch, right, Jim, disconnect the water feed using the valve lever, I’ll drain the excess water, and replace the flow switch”.

2 hours later, a new sprinkler flow switch was installed, and wired, so that when a sprinkler activates, causing the flow switch to trip which when tripped will cause a full fire alarm activation instead of a supervisory condition.

Later, Inspector Arc opened his front door and closed it when he got inside his house.

“Janice! I am home”.

“Finally. I was starting to wonder when you would get home”.

“Ok Janice, relax”!

“Ok, I will Leccy Arc”.

The next day, Leccy realised he needed to go shopping, which would also test how Janice would cope being alone for 3 hours.

End message

To be continued…

Inspector Arc

Fire Alarm Test One!

Prologue:

After Leccy Arc AKA Inspector Arc built an AI based OS powered addressable fire alarm panel with a human voice called Janice, Leccy decides to go to the Midsummer Place Shopping Centre in Central Milton Keynes to see how Janice would cope being alone for a few hours.

Start message:

In the year 2249, a young man called Inspector Leccy Arc, a fire alarm technician at Arc Fire Detection and Alarm Systems Limited, trading as Arc Fire Detection and Alarms, has built a living AI based fire alarm panel called the AFDaA-4002, dedicated to keeping Inspector Arc safe.

“Lec, please clean my smoke detector”.

“Later Janice, I still need to program you, but this AFDaA-2060-34 handheld programmer PC is a pain in the butt when it comes to Loop Explorer 4.19, oh well, I will leave it for now”.

The next day, Inspector Arc heads down to Midsummer Place Shopping Centre in Milton Keynes, grabs his technicians keys, unlocks the doors, and heads to the management suite.

“Darn, I forgot the code. What was it again? I could’ve sworn it was 2346”! Leccy mumbled to himself.

After putting in the code, Inspector Arc opened the door and headed to the frog clock control panel, switched the golden ball mechanism on, and left the management suite.

After heading towards the clock, Arc grabbed his camera and filmed the spinning wheel and swinging pendulum carrying the golden ball from the sun end of the track to the frog/clock end of the track, afterwards Inspector Arc finished filming, put his camera away and called the lift going up to the food court, just as Inspector Arc headed into Burger King, the PA system speakers did their “ding-dong” and an announcement played over the PA system speakers: Good morning everyone, and welcome to Midsummer Place Shopping Centre, today there is a sale down at the LEGO Store, I repeat, there is a sale down at the LEGO Store, thank you. Over. A few minutes later the fire alarms in Burger King went off, and Inspector Arc headed down the stairs and into the management suite, Arc went to the main panel to acknowledge the alarm to avoid the system going into a stage-2 full fire alarm condition, after a few minutes Burger King reset their system, and Inspector Arc reset the main panel. Whilst shopping at anchor tenant 4: Asda, Arc headed into the back room to have a look at the fire alarm panel which was showing a supervisory condition.

“Sprinkler flow switch, I am surprised that this doesn’t cause an alarm activation. Either way, I am gonna have to replace the flow switch”.

2 hours later, a new sprinkler flow switch was installed and connected to the panel alarm circuit, so that when any sprinkler activates, tripping the flow switch which when activated will cause a full alarm activation in the entire shopping centre. A few hours later all of the fire alarms went off in the shopping centre and the PA system speakers went “ding dong” and played the stage-2 fire alarm PA message: Attention! Attention! A fire emergency has been reported in the shopping centre, whilst we are investigating the alarm, please evacuate the building using the nearest fire exit, do not use the lifts, use the stairs. Thank you. Inspector Arc got his camera out and started filming one of the older bells with the hammer on the outside of the bell in Poundland which was ringing, then he headed to Wilko and filmed the Fulleon Roshni doing alternating, then went over to Sports Direct and filmed the Fulleon motorised fire alarm bell ringing, then finished filming, put his camera back, put in the door code, opened the entrance door to the management suite, grabbed his KAC-KTK key, put the single-pronged end into the bottom of the KAC old style call point, then pulled the key out, resetting the call point element, entered the four-digit access level 2 code for the fire alarm panel, pressed silence/resound alarm sounders, pressed mute buzzer, logged the alarm activation into the logbook then pressed reset on the panel.

“Well that was eventful, I had better reset the repeater panel as well”.

Inspector Arc then headed to the repeater panel and pressed reset on it, and then left the management suite, left the shopping centre and got into his van to drive back to his house, fire alarm collection, fire alarm demo boards, whole-house fire alarm system and Janice.

End message

To be continued…

Inspector Arc

Strange Incidents

Start message

Prologue:

For starters, sharing your home with an AI based OS powered fire alarm control panel with a feminine voice is bad, breaking into the long-abandoned Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre to “look” at what fire alarms there are is straight-up worse. But receiving the most mildest possible electric shock which was still pretty bad despite being as mild as possible is a dumb move to make. Anyway, I had better go, but remember, as far as we are all concerned, nothing happened.

“Lec, when are you gonna clean my smoke detector”?

“Soon, ok, gosh, you are sometimes annoying”.

“Cya, Janice”.

“Where are you going, Lec?”

“Out”.

“Out where”?

“Shopping”!

“Ok”.

Leccy Arc leaves, goes into his car, starts the engine, and drives off.

10 minutes later, Inspector Arc turns the engine off, gets out of his car, locks it, and starts walking to the long-abandoned Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre.

“Shoot. The doors are locked. Oh. Right, I forgot I had my technicians keys on me”.

Arc grabs his keys, unlocks the door, opens it, goes inside and closes the door behind him.

“Jeez, this place is spooky”. Inspector Arc said to himself.

Suddenly, Arc finds a key-operated light switch, grabs his keys and turns the key switch to position 1, turning some of the lights on, in order to not bring attention to himself, and starts walking to the management suite and opens the door.

“I guess the power for the vital systems was turned off when this place closed down, and Midsummer Place Shopping Centre opened up to replace Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre”.

Curious, Inspector Arc entered the maintenance room, and pulled the lever labelled “Vital Systems”!!! as soon as he did, the fire alarm panel lit up into life, and displayed “12 Sounder Faults, 2 Supervisory Conditions- Call Alarm Company To Repair System” on it’s LCD screen.

“That isn’t good, I am gonna have to run a system map scan to find the 12 faulty sounders and 2 supervisory activations”.

Arc grabbed his panel key, unlocked the panel door and opened it, not seeing the damaged live cable, touched it and got a shock.

“Ow. Oh. Not. Today. Please. Gosh. No”!

Then he used his free hand to push the lever up, killing the power, then he noticed a symbol.

“Oh. My. Good. Gosh. Heck. No. Not the Symbol of Light, the symbol of the Enlightenment Cult, they are evil”.

Panicking, Inspector Arc left the management suite, turned the lights off, opened the door, went outside, closed the door and locked it, unlocked his car, got into it, started the engine and drove off home.

The next day, Janice woke Leccy Arc/Inspector Arc up at 7:00 am Greenwich Mean Time.

“Morning Leccy”.

“Morning Janice”.

End message

To be continued…

I’m flattered that you’re inspired by Inspector Sands, but reading my website and just rewriting it into essentially a UK version of my story is plagiarism. You’ve got the sentient fire panel, you’ve got the near-electrocution, and you’ve got him consulting the forums about a nearly-identical death cult.

Here’s an idea - take a bunch of elements from various sources - real life, TV shows, books, etc. and change them to the point that they’re no longer recognizable as belonging to those things.

For example, when I write Inspector Sands, none of the characters are copies of real people or copies of characters from other franchises. Because that’s how you get in trouble.

1 Like