Is there an advantage to a building having both sprinklers a

Is there an advantage to a building having both sprinklers and smokes, as opposed to having just sprinklers. I’ve seen some stores that have both sprinklers and smoke detectors. I thought that sprinklers would make smoke detectors unnecessary.

Sprinklers are activated by heat, while smoke detectors are obviously activated by smoke.

Sprinklers are on networks called zones, and each one has a waterflow sensor. Smoke detectors are either on zones or addressable.

The advantage with sprinklers is they will help suppress the fire, and the advantage with smoke detectors is they will provide earlier warning.

I guess having both is a good idea, because you’d have early warning and early detection, plus the ability to suppress the fire when it gets hot enough.

I’ve also seen some buildings that have a lot of sprinklers, and the only areas with smoke detectors are at the elevators for elevator recall.
The Fine Arts building at my college had sprinklers throughout the basement and in the dressing rooms, while the rest of the building is all smoke detectors (many of them were originally heat sensors, but were replaced with System Sensor i3s and 2251Ts over the years.)

Perhaps for maximum protection, it would be a good idea for a building to have not only sprinklers and smoke detectors, but also stand alone smoke alarms and pull stations. Stand alone smoke alarms will indicate the location of the fire and pull stations will allow the fire alarm system to be activated manually.

Whaaaa???

I dont think the stand alone smoke detectors would be nessesary… Useful in a household, but just not needed in a building with a functional FA system…

Yeah, they probably would not be necessary.

wow

Yeah, they probably wouldn’t be necessary. However, they can be useful as local alarms in indicating the location of the fire. Many apartments, hotels, and college dorms that have a functional fire alarm system have stand alone smoke detectors as local alarms.

Why exactly do hotels have stand-alone smoke alarms in the rooms?

Apartments and college dorms probably have them in case someone burns food–so that the fire department does not get called every time. Some of them also are a system detector that indicates a trouble on the panel instead of an alarm, which clears when the sensor clears. If another one activates, it alarms. If there were an actual fire then the tenant / dorm resident could pull the nearest manual station.

Also, the use of stand-alone alarms to find a fire is a bit useless, because:

1. All system detectors have an LED that lights and stays lit upon activation until the panel is reset.
  2. Smoke alarms could stop sounding after smoke levels drop.
  3. They are unreliable, having batteries that would need to be changed.
  4. Zones give you a general idea of where to look, where with stand-alone detectors you’d have to search the whole building.
  5. Addressable Systems prevent all of these problems with the ability to tell exactly which smoke sensor was activated. Paired with a graphic annunciator or a device map, you’ll know exactly where to find the fire.

You can use 110V interconnected devices and tie them into a supervisory or other “sub system” to use them to alert someone like a front desk or security of a “local” alarm.

Local alarms have many benefits and of course have their downside…

HOWEVER Fallin86 has no FCKING idea WHAT he is saying he pretty much flip flopped in this thread I don’t know where he comes up with this sht but it i is pretty comical…

The stand alone smoke alarm is to alert a sleeping person of smoke inside their unit. Sometimes the building system has a delay before the alarms sound. I heard that in some buildings a security guard has to manually activate the building signals after they receive the alarm at the panel (someone who works in Chicago told me that highrise buildings in Chicago are set up that way). This may be too late to save a person from a fire inside their unit. If the in-room smoke was a system smoke I would hope it has a sounder base that will sound immediatly regardless of if the building system was sounding.

That has nothing to do with hotels and their stand alone smokes.

High Rises typically evacuate the general area not the entire building…

The bad information you people post on the forums could feed thousands of homeless people if it was food you threw away.