Odd fire alarms

It appears Andrews plugin doesn’t work… It’s supposed to automatically re-size the photos

Still, IMO I think people should also preview their posts before posting them. Everytime I post photos I always preview it first to make sure the photos aren’t too big or too small.

Anyways, here are some odd ones I have:

-The Edwards 270-SPO without the break rod on it.

-This is a big Notifier pull station, about the size of my hand.

-An odd combination, a flush mount Atlas speaker (I think), and an Edwards Fire light, as well as another one with an Edwards strobe.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I find this discussion to be quite interesting since I’m a native French speaker. Despite “alarme incendie” being the correct term, most people around here use “alarme de feu” or, even worse, “alarme à feu” (absolutely horrible, makes me cringe!). To make it even more confusing, “alarme” is a feminine noun while “incendie” is masculine (many people think it’s “une incendie” rather than “un incendie”). I’ve never really considered the semantic difference between “feu” and “incendie”, since each term’s particular uses have always seemed to come naturally for me. Thanks for pointing it out since I probably never would’ve thought about actually finding out why both words are used in different contexts.

I still wonder what happened when they designed that pull station. For some reason, they used “ALARM” in English but “FEU” in French. Awesome (not) translation! Another particularity about Simplex pull stations is that bilingual versions use “tirez” (pull) in French, while French-only models use the term “abaissez” (lower) on the handle.

I would’ve assumed its because FEU fits on a device easier. There’s limited real-estate and they want the lettering to be as large as possible, was probably a design compromise made somewhere along the line and it stuck.

I’ve seen the nickel Wheelock ET70s, they have them in the ticketing area of MSP (Minneapolis/Saint Paul International Airport). And I agree with El Chupacabra, they do look cool. BTW MSP’s system does a hi-lo signal then a voice message.

Ahem…
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/safety/notification/products/life_safety_notification/audible_visual_appliances/speaker_strobes/wheelock_series_et70wallmountspeakerstrobes.html

Here are some good ones.

Firefly, what’s that horn? Also the model for the pull? Thanks

That V33 must be newer because it mounts vertically, like the Guardian Light. Is this true?

The horn is a Faraday 2881 on a Simplex plate with a Simplex 4904-9307 strobe. I’ve actually seen these installed at a local hospital, only mounted horizontally.

The pull is a SP-2-TB.

The V33 is actually an older model, not from the fairly modern Guardian series.

the pull looks like a re-badged RSG SP series.

http://www.rsgsecurity.com/

This is an early gamewell indicator where the call box would be activated, and the indicator that has the number of the call box would turn on and the fire department would know where to go to. This is from an eBay auction.

Speaking of the V33, how common are the strobe units from the late 80s? I’ve got a horizontally marked one with an all white, not clear lens, with strobe circuitry.

That horn looks like a Wheelock mini horn but wider.

Local alarm T-bars(credit Ben Schumin)

Old fashioned graphic design; gotta love it.

THIS FIRE ALARM SYSTEM IS CONNECTED WITH THE MUNICIPAL FIRE DEPARTMENT
THE ALARM WILL SOUND IN THIS BUILDING AND FIRE DEPARTMENT SIMULTANEOUSLY

Obviously whomever wrote that sign does not know the definition of “LOCAL FIRE ALARM”… probably a lot of people have no idea what that means as well.

Obviously whoever wrote that sign does not know the definition of “LOCAL FIRE ALARM”… probably a lot of people have no idea what that means as well.
[/quote]

There are many reasons why they did this. Maybe they installed a DACT after the pull stations were installed. Maybe they only had local alarms in stock. But whatever the case, this was the best thing to do if they installed a DACT, most likely as a result of local code updates.

EDIT: I just noticed step 3 says “CALL FIRE DEPARTMENT” when below it says it will automatically place a call. This is very strange!

That request is not that unusual. Our fire dept. has always requested people to make a phone call to report the fire as a backup to the automatic systems. That included when we had a municipal master box system that was maintained and manned by the fire dept. Now with central station operation the request for a person to call still stands.

The dispatcher will ask questions to get more information about the emergency. That information is passed to the responding fire station crew by radio so they can be better prepared when they arrive at the scene. The automatic systems only report that there is an alarm at a certain street address.

In my previous post I stated “The automatic systems only report that there is an alarm at a certain street address.” That would apply to an event DACT or master box system. In a system using CID with per point monitoring, the central station can give the fire department the exact device(s) that caused the alarm.

Some oddball speaker/strobes at a high-rise office building. The system is an older Kidde tied in with a newer Simplex.

The first one is a bit different. I don’t think I’ve seen that one.

The middle one is an Atlas Sound speaker, like the one in my collection. Its odd though because that cone inside is meant to be moisture resistant.

That bottom one is amazing. I have never seen An Atlas speaker-STROBE other than that SAV-3-60 I’ve so desperately been chasing. An oddity for sure.