Motion sensors are NOT cameras!!!

So recently I did some volunteering at a local daycare for kiddos 4-10 years old. So I was helping the repair guy fix a air conditioner/heater next to a classroom as it’s filter got blocked and it messed up the motor. So then the class heads out to go to lunch and they are screeching and yelling and then this teacher. Let’s call her Mrs. Smith, said: “You guys know that there is a camera watching you misbehave and that the office can see you???” while pointing up to the Honeywell MOTION SENSOR… Then a kid pointed out that is was a motion detector (He seemed cool.) and then the teacher then pointed to the WIFI BOX and said that it was the real camera. The world is full of misconceptions like how motion sensors are cameras and how people cover up their hotel rooms mini-Horn saying “It’s a Camera!!!” When I was 17 my dad flipped out when he saw the Wheelock MIZ and he said he was calling the front desk because in his words “It is a camera in there!!!”.

One last thing before I cut off:
MOTION SENSORS ARE NOTCAMERAS!!!

By the way the school had BG-10s, Wheelock MTs, and also a Fire-Lite MS-5-UD3.

There are some hidden cameras meant to look like things like smoke alarms and wi-fi routers, but generally in a school security cameras will be pretty overt as they’ll be translucent black domes on the ceiling.
Maybe the teacher said that to get kids to behave. Was she wrong? Sure she was. Was your dad wrong? Sure he was.
I’m not sure that it’s worth getting riled up over but yeah, those misconceptions do exist, whether people know they’re wrong or not.

I know. I just needed to vent about it

I have also seen people mistake motion detectors for smoke detectors.

Reminds me of how a classmate in elementary school said the emergency light in the bathroom (out of all places) was a security camera.

Someone would have definitely filed a lawsuit against the school if this were true :lol:

Unfortunately I think that misconception which has been around for a while picked up traction when it was learned some places DO have secret cameras in stuff like smoke detectors, motion detectors and mini-horns.

[quote="Robert A" post_id=85338 time=1573220269 user_id=2817]

There are some hidden cameras meant to look like things like smoke alarms and wi-fi routers

[/quote]

These are extremely easy to spot. Trust me.

Might not be for some people because there are reports of said people still getting spied on and not knowing. :frowning:

They actually do have Motion sensors that look like cameras. My company also installs camera systems, we have one in our office, and one of the cameras we have looks like a motion sensor. We also have some that look like regular 120V smoke alarms. I wouldn’t say they’re so easy to spot, but if your looking directly at it yes.

[quote=EdwardsFan post_id=85837 time=1578279973 user_id=85]

They actually do have Motion sensors that look like cameras. My company also installs camera systems, we have one in our office, and one of the cameras we have looks like a motion sensor. We also have some that look like regular 120V smoke alarms. I wouldn’t say they’re so easy to spot, but if your looking directly at it yes.

[/quote]

Oh cool!