School Bell & PA Systems

Talk about anything in this section.
Robert A
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Re: School Bell & PA Systems

Postby Robert A » Mon May 26, 2014 7:35 pm

I can't believe I haven't posted in this before!

Elementary School:
Some Dukane system, since the FA system is EST. The bell was a 2-second sine wave that I cannot for the life of me remember the pitch. There are no master time clocks anywhere.

Middle School (6th Grade):
This school had an EST3 replace the old Simplex system, so the master time system is probably Simplex but the PA system is likely Dukane. The bell is a 2-second sine wave, and I do not remember the pitch. There are Simplex master time clocks all over the place.

Middle School (7th and 8th Grade):
This school had a Rauland system with an interesting bell setup. One minute before the tardy bell, there would be two .5 second chimes, then the bell (again, a 2-second sine wave of unknown pitch) would sound. This school has Rauland clocks

High School:
My current school has another Rauland system, without warning chimes. The pitch on the bell is a B concert. Bonus points if you can guess the pitch of this one in hertz! This school also has Rauland clocks.
Robert Aslin
My YouTube Channel | My Music Website | My Personal Website
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.
Go Pokes!

EdwardsFan
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Re: School Bell & PA Systems

Postby EdwardsFan » Tue May 27, 2014 1:51 am

Here are some pictures of my high schools PA/bell System. The first one that was installed, was in 1988, when my school converted into a full on high school (was a seminary, then an all boys school, then a co-ed day school). The system was a Telecor 2. This is when they replaced the old bell system, which I recently discovered it was an IBM system. I was on student council my last year, so I used the PA system daily since I did announcements, and played music. It had numerous problems with communication during announcements, and the motherboard even fried in December, 2012. It also had no volume control with the music, so sometimes the music was really soft, other times it was deafening. It was eventually replaced during March break with the Telecor XL. The bell system was fairly easy to program, and with both the systems, you could make your own bell tone, as well as being able to program 4 bell schedules with 64 events each. Here is the old system first:

The first picture was the old control console that was in the announcement room. The second picture is the new refurbished one that was put in after the system fried. The most annoying thing about these was doing the announcements with them. You had to hold down the 'push to talk' button to keep the mic on, it didn't latch in.

This was the other control console that was located in the office. This one was used mainly by the secretaries to make announcements and page rooms during school. This one was used by picking up the phone and using the page feature, which it latched in.

The PA system in the announcement room. There were some features on the unit itself (which weren't in use by then) such as the FM/AM radio, and the tape player. You can also see a key at the bottom, that was a key used to program the systems time functions. Now the new system:

This was the new system installed March 2013. I forgot to take a pic of the new unit, but there is the new console, paging microphone, and the new CD player. The console is unlike the old one, pretty much the same features, but one exception. This one latches in, as well as the new microphone with it. I don't have a picture of the one in the office because it is the same.

Finally, the old systems final resting place was in the storage shed that was in the back of the school. Here are also some videos of both systems at work:

Old Telecor 2 system, New Telecor XL system (manual bell), and The new system with the automatic bell schedule.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley

Return to “General Discussion”