School Bell & PA Systems

Talk about anything in this section.
U8oL0
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: jjinc24

Re: School Bell & PA Systems

Postby U8oL0 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I know that my elementary school had a Dukane system, but I'm not sure about my current school or the one before it. None of my schools have had bell systems.
Jared Stark
Erasurge Web Services LLC
Returning in May 2018

Fallin86
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Postby Fallin86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:24 am

I'm glad all of my schools used bells that were just tones over the intercom. I can't imagine having to actually hear that really loud actual bell go off at school. It would have been terrifying.

Fallin86
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Postby Fallin86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Kevtistic wrote:
SPK4 wrote:
Kevtistic wrote:For bell systems, most schools I've attended used National Time for their bell systems, w/ a 4 second ringing time.

Do you mean either a 4-second ringing of mechanical bells and/or a 4-second electronic tone over a PA System?

Mechanical bells--none of the schools I have attended have ever used bell tones over the intercoms.

Were those mechanical bells loud and scary? I'd hate to attend a school that used mechanic bells. I prefer the tone over the intercom.

weatherdan882002
Retired Staff

Postby weatherdan882002 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Elementary School: Simplex 2350 Master Time system with 6" IBM vibrating bells inside and 10" IBM bells with guards outside.

Middle/High School: For grades 6 through 75% of 12th grade, a Simplex 2350 Master Time system. The middle school bell sound was a buzzer tone that came from behind the clocks (buzzer mounted in the backbox). In the high school, it was single-stroke chimes in the hallways with some classrooms having buzzers as well. When the school was added onto during the the 2002-2003 school year, they installed Edwards Adaptabels in the new additions. In 2004, they rennovated the HS office and they accidentally cut most of the wires that were wired to the master time system which left the HS and the new additions without bells. Simplex came down and rewired the chimes in the HS and eventually the new classroom wing, but the buzzers in the HS and the bells in the gyms never worked again after that, and to my knowledge, they still don't to this day. They also replaced a couple of singlestroke chimes in the HS with 6" vibrating bells because people complained they could not hear the bells ring. Finally, the 2350 shorted out during the later half of my senior year and was replaced with a Simplex 6400 master time system. None of the non-working bells were fixed at that time.
"Smoke detectors and fire alarms are a wonderful thing, but you gotta know how to turn 'em off." - David Letterman

Simplex4Life
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby Simplex4Life » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm

1st ES - I have no clue about what kind of bell system they had, but it used vibrating bells, I think 6" ones behind grilles. They were definitely loud though. They were probably either Edwards or Simplex, and they rang for either 3 or 5 seconds. The school was built in the mid-70s and had a more open architecture; the classrooms were open to the hallway and the walls were movable. I've never seen that kind of setup anywhere else. Therefore, I don't think they had a clock system. I'm not sure about the PA system.

2nd ES - Simplex clocks and time system with tones over the PA system (which was most likely Simplex, since the fire alarms were also Simplex). The class tone only rang when school started and ended. The tone was a 500 Hz chime with 3 dings that lasted about 1.5 to 2 seconds, and then a ding that was cut off after about a half-second. The announcement tone was about 700 Hz (not sure of the exact frequency, but it was an F note) and lasted either .5 or 1 second.

MS - the middle school used to be 2 separate schools, but they were connected around 1970. Some of the rooms had Standard clock/speaker units, and the rest of them had separate clocks and speakers. They originally used bells - half of the school had grey IBM 6" bells, and the other half had black Autocall bells, mostly 4" but some were 6". Actually, there was one tan 8" bell like the one in SimplexTech's vid when he was testing that old IBM/Simplex system. When I went there, they had a class tone over the PA that sounded the same as my ES except there were 4 dings. The clock system was most likely Standard, but I'm not sure about the PA system. The announcement tone was a half-second 500 Hz tone, but it sounded a bit buzzier than the class tone. Half of that building was renovated in '99, and I don't know what companies they use now.

HS - the original high school had Edwards clock/speaker/phone units, and I think the bell system was Edwards. They had Edwards 4" adaptabels, and buzzers in the rooms, behind the clocks. They rang for 3 seconds. I thought the bells were loud, but not as loud as my first ES. Some of the buzzers didn't sound though. A few of the ones that did were loud, and others were quiet. That school was renovated in 2000, and they now have Simplex clock/speaker units, and they use the exact same tones that my second ES uses. I'm pretty sure their time system is Simplex. The PA might be Simplex also.

weatherdan882002
Retired Staff

Postby weatherdan882002 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Both PA systems in my school were by Dukane. IDK the models.
"Smoke detectors and fire alarms are a wonderful thing, but you gotta know how to turn 'em off." - David Letterman

Simplex4Life
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby Simplex4Life » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Simplex4Life wrote:1st ES - I have no clue about what kind of bell system they had, but it used vibrating bells, I think 6" ones behind grilles. They were definitely loud though. They were probably either Edwards or Simplex, and they rang for either 3 or 5 seconds. The school was built in the mid-70s and had a more open architecture; the classrooms were open to the hallway and the walls were movable. I've never seen that kind of setup anywhere else. Therefore, I don't think they had a clock system. I'm not sure about the PA system.

2nd ES - Simplex clocks and time system with tones over the PA system (which was most likely Simplex, since the fire alarms were also Simplex). The class tone only rang when school started and ended. The tone was a 500 Hz chime with 3 dings that lasted about 1.5 to 2 seconds, and then a ding that was cut off after about a half-second. The announcement tone was about 700 Hz (not sure of the exact frequency, but it was an F note) and lasted either .5 or 1 second.

MS - the middle school used to be 2 separate schools, but they were connected around 1970. Some of the rooms had Standard clock/speaker units, and the rest of them had separate clocks and speakers. They originally used bells - half of the school had grey IBM 6" bells, and the other half had black Autocall bells, mostly 4" but some were 6". Actually, there was one tan 8" bell like the one in SimplexTech's vid when he was testing that old IBM/Simplex system. When I went there, they had a class tone over the PA that sounded the same as my ES except there were 4 dings. The clock system was most likely Standard, but I'm not sure about the PA system. The announcement tone was a half-second 500 Hz tone, but it sounded a bit buzzier than the class tone. Half of that building was renovated in '99, and I don't know what companies they use now.

HS - the original high school had Edwards clock/speaker/phone units, and I think the bell system was Edwards. They had Edwards 4" adaptabels, and buzzers in the rooms, behind the clocks. They rang for 3 seconds. I thought the bells were loud, but not as loud as my first ES. Some of the buzzers didn't sound though. A few of the ones that did were loud, and others were quiet. That school was renovated in 2000, and they now have Simplex clock/speaker units, and they use the exact same tones that my second ES uses. I'm pretty sure their time system is Simplex. The PA might be Simplex also.

Actually, the clock/speaker/phone units in the old high school might not have been Edwards. I believe the clocks were Edwards though.

El Chupacabra
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby El Chupacabra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:44 pm

First Elementary School: No P.A. system. Generic speakers that broadcasted a bell tone (Westminster Chime, I believe) were installed when I was in third or fourth grade to signal the beginning and end of the day along with the recesses.

Second Elementary School: Bell is broadcasted over the P.A. system (don't know the manufacturer) which uses Electro Vox speakers such as this one (not my picture). Disconnected Faraday Uni-Pact bells are located throughout the school and the clocks are a mix of older electric Faraday and Westclox models along with a few Bates and CTS battery-operated ones.

High School: Bell is broadcasted over the P.A. system (once again, I don't know the manufacturer) which uses older generic-looking Atlas Soundolier speakers. The clocks were older Unelco/Standard models with a Unelco master clock (replaced in 2007 with newer battery-operated models). A few Standard bells remain outside.

EdwardsFan
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Postby EdwardsFan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Elementary school: Some Edwards bell control panel. There were 10 bells installed inside + outside the school. There are Edwards 4" adaptabels (5), Edwards 10" adaptabels (4), and 1 Edwards adaptahorn (outside). Outside, The only 6" adaptabel we had was replaced with a 4" adaptabel, and one of the 4" adaptabels were replaced with a adaptabuzzer, then a 10" adaptabel. The only bell that doesn't work is the one in the gymnasium, a 10" adaptabel. I think it's disconnected, it hasn't worked since I began school there.

High school: The bells are over the PA system, and are controlled by a panel ( the company is named ______tone, have no clue). There are about 11 bells installed around the school. A mix of 6" adaptabels, and 4" IBM and Simplex bells. I don't know if they were part of an old bell system, or are used for another system, but I have never heard them go off.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley

Simplex4Life
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby Simplex4Life » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:52 pm

EdwardsFan wrote:Elementary school: Some Edwards bell control panel. There were 10 bells installed inside + outside the school. There are Edwards 4" adaptabels (5), Edwards 10" adaptabels (4), and 1 Edwards adaptahorn (outside). Outside, The only 6" adaptabel we had was replaced with a 4" adaptabel, and one of the 4" adaptabels were replaced with a adaptabuzzer, then a 10" adaptabel. The only bell that doesn't work is the one in the gymnasium, a 10" adaptabel. I think it's disconnected, it hasn't worked since I began school there.

High school: The bells are over the PA system, and are controlled by a panel ( the company is named ______tone, have no clue). There are about 11 bells installed around the school. A mix of 6" adaptabels, and 4" IBM and Simplex bells. I don't know if they were part of an old bell system, or are used for another system, but I have never heard them go off.

A while ago in the Some Fire Alarm Pics thread on this page: http://community.schuminweb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1936&start=30, you posted some pics of those IBM 4" bells. We had those exact same kind of 4" bells in half of the old middle school, but they were by Autocall and they were black. Actually, a few of them were 6". They used tones while I was there though, so unfortunately, I never heard those bells ring.

Return to “General Discussion”