Orientation and Acceptance

How do you identify yourself?

• Straight - Accepting
  • Straight - Not Accepting
  • LGBT Member
0 voters

In lieu of recent events on the forum, I’m just curious to see how the community identifies themselves. No one will see your poll answer, but if you still do not feel comfortable then do not vote. Opinions are fine provided they are civilized and do not offend other members of the board. Please try and think for yourself on this, don’t base your opinion off the opinions of others, your parents or any biblical text.

I identify as a member of the LGBT community, although before I did realize I was I considered myself an ally.

Pretty sure I’m straight, and ever since I learned what being a member of the LGBT community meant, I saw no reason to not accept.

I hope nobody will vote for the middle option…

Any arguments about the rights/status of homosexuals and whether they should be accepted or not will result in this topic being locked and the users receiving warnings.

I don’t even know what Ir means so

1st option means you are heterosexual, someone who is attracted to the opposite gender yet you still support LGBT rights and marriage
2nd option means you are straight yet do not support LGBT rights or marriage.
3rd option means you are a member of the LGBT community whether it be homosexual (attracted to the same gender), bisexual (attracted to both genders), transgender (identifying as a gender different to your biological gender).

ok thank you for clearing it up for me

Gay and proud :wink: People say its a choice, but honestly I can’t see how it is. I’ve had quite an interesting and depressing history with it, and can say if I had a choice I would have honestly taken the more “happy road”.

I frankly don’t understand that at all either. Every time that I’ve personally been attracted to a girl, it’s just sort of happened. I didn’t choose what girl I liked, and if rationality had been involved I probably wouldn’t have liked any of them. The way I see it, it’s probably the same for the LGB community. They don’t choose who to be attracted to. As for the T, I can’t relate, but they can do their thing. It’s not my business.

I’m straight, but I accept those that are not.

I’m straight, and I accept that people are what they are and cannot be changed. Also, I have a cousin in Arizona who is a lesbian and I accept her.

I love your attitudes about the topic, if only some people shared it… I’m glad to know I have some pretty accepting fellow hobbyists :slight_smile:

I wonder who voted for the middle option? Shame on you… lol

Good timing with this topic though, I saw a news article recently about the anniversary of a guy who was tackled and thrown into a river in Bangor, ME on July 6, 1984 for being gay. Poor kid… he was very young.

Did he die? You said “he was very young”.

Here is the article on Wikipedia. I found and read the article and am shocked! He was thrown over a bridge, despite saying how he was unable to swim. Apparently (ironically) his friend escaped and pulled a fire alarm to summon authorities who then searched and found the body in the river. This particular kid was victim to many other hate crimes before his death, one being his kitten was found strangled on his doorsteps. This just shows how hateful people can be (though this was in the 80s back when people were still getting used to the idea of accepting LGBT’s).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Howard_(murder_victim)

Wow! :evil: Poor guy. I hope those people who pushed him couldn’t sleep at night.

It also sucks that they were tried as juveniles also. They carried out a horrific hate crime, and in my opinion, they should have gotten life in prison.

Crazy stuff. It’s so stupid how they even have to try them, why these crimes even happen. It’s ridiculous to judge a person on just one aspect of who they are… At least we are moving forward, and I like how fast marriage equality is moving in this country :smiley: