First Jobs

What was your first job?

I say this because I just applied for a clerk/cashier position at CVS/Pharmacy, and I hope I get hired. I haven’t been interviewed yet, but they did this strange “Virtual Job Tryout” that felt like an interview.

(For those who are curious, 50% of the money I make at this job will go toward my collection :wink: )

Hannaford Supermarkets Store #8187 – Grocery Bagger.

Absolutely HATED that job… but it did teach me the definitions of: “asshole boss”, “foot-kisser/brown-noser”, and “fall guy”
I was the fall guy (against my will) for the front end whenever a foot-kissing associate broke company policies. I was always given the blame. I think the very poor management of that store wanted me to get fired because they didn’t like me. So I quit after one incident that really made me mad.

Now I work for a fire alarm company in Northern New England and I am never going back to retail. F that.

Also to clarify something for Netscape… The thing you did when applying for the job was a new thing that many large corporations have started doing called a “job interview fitness quiz” where they ask you lots of questions to test to see if you are fit for the job. They repeat a lot of questions (re-worded) to ensure you responded the same way on each one. Be careful with these quizzes, you have to choose your answers to look favorable to them, and usually that means making you look excited for the job and someone who works well in groups. Although it may not be obvious they also want someone “submissive” as in willing to do everything they’re told without questioning it, regardless of whether it is stupid or could be done more efficiently. I’ve done many of these quizzes when applying for retail jobs for Best Buy, Staples, Sears, Radio Shack, Target, you name it. Only got offered three jobs out of the 20 I applied for. (Best Buy geek squad and two alarm technician positions)… Anyway the reason why corporations do these quizzes is to make the actual interview shorter. By changing a large chunk of the interview to a computer based test these companies can save money so their executives can have more money for their private jets. My interview with Hannaford did not have one of those tests; it was done during the interview with the store’s HR person.

Andrew, i remember the day you almost got fired for going to the restroom! LOL good times…

Anyway… My first and current Job is a Summer Camp Jr. Counselor. In other words i watch little kids play, play with them, eat with them, etc. If you have been or go to a summer camp you know what i do!

Well then, I suppose I ought to keep my phone on and ready for a phone call this week then.

And you can call me by my name, Andrew. I think I’m having the same sort of deal when people called you NASA. I relate with people better if I know them by name. That’s why I call Samson, Jared, Destin, and Corbin by name. It’s also a lot easier to type than computertech24, jjinc24/U80lo, thesdx, and TssCman, anyway.

Back onto topic, I chose a retail job rather than a food service job because I know if I were to work at a restaurant that I really like, I’d eventually stop going there because I would get sick of their food. Not the case with retail, because most retail places feel the same to me anyway. And the CVS I applied to is within walking distance of my house.

How old must you be to have a summer job at an alarm company?

This isn’t a summer job… I work full time during the summer and part time the rest of the year.
In most cases at least 18 years old to get a job like that.

I know yours is full time. There is a local alarm company that it think i can get a summer job at when i am old enough.

Well when you are old enough give it a shot. Actually this job was originally intended to be a summer job and it evolved into a seasonal job that went through the whole winter. Next week I am going to start working full time again.

My first job (and still only job I have lol) is working at Red Lobster as a host/cashier. I Actually love the job, although I don’t want to be in it my entire life. I only got the job because my dad has been working there for about 22 years now, and I knew the managers quite well. I can say the only great thing about it is all the great people I work with, we are basically one big family. There are downsides, like dealing with picky/rude guests, and sometimes not being too busy at all, as we average around 2000 guests a week (while an American red lobster does over 5000 a week). But overall, it’s nice to work with people who don’t treat you like crap, or push you around or outcast you. I am hoping to move on to do an electrical apprenticeship, hopefully for a Fire alarm company, or even taking a course with my city’s fire marshal.

Update: I have a job interview at the local movie theater tomorrow! I really hope I do well, haha! :mrgreen:

How did it go?

I actually just got a job the other week doing food service for Aramark, working at the top of Pikes Peak at 14,000 ft!