Kids react to 1970s-1980s computer

http://youtu.be/PF7EpEnglgk
LOL :lol:

Lol, that would be the very first computer I ever touched. My mother oversaw a computer lab full of Apple IIe’s when she was a teacher. That school was about a decade behind the times.

I still have a working 1986 Apple IIe with two floppy drives and a stupidly old modem. The only software I have for it is AppleLink. :lol:

Did you see that I commented and suggested the NES? I think it would be cool for them to be completely immersed in '80s technology for a day.

I also want them to experience a C64. That machine has always been on my wanted list.

Maybe also a Macintosh 128k, or a typewriter, or something involving punch cards. Also could try a record player, a Betamax, an 8 track tape, or… ok out of ideas.

Lol, i am considered the computer god at my school because of my knowledge. I had a friend think floppy disk were cool… :shock:

Let’s see those kids use a dial-up network and connect to a BBS. :smiley:

Even at that age I would’ve at least gotten to the title screen. These kids don’t have desktops anymore?
Also I can’t stand these children. Yeah I’m a d**k.

I do not own a laptop anymore, my first laptop was running Windows XP and I phased it out of service in February. It died in March.

But the topic is about vintage computers…

Anyway, even I knew that you’re supposed to type “PRINT” to get it to output stuff. But since the Commodore was about as popular, if not more popular than the Apple ][ or //e, I felt they should have shown that one to them instead. I mean, think of all the great games available for the C64. You can finally play Superman 64- oh wait wrong system.

These kids looked like the kind of kids who have been exposed to modern computers and smartphones for most of their lives and do not know the difference. My first exposure to a computer was in 1995-1996 around 4 or 5 years old or so when my dad still had his Packard Bell 286 running MS-DOS and either Windows 2 or 3.1. (He doesn’t remember and I never saw it when I was little) My family has owned a home computer since around 1984, with their first being the famous TRS-80.

I haven’t been able to completely figure out why desktops are dying, since they are the most powerful computers you can get. In my opinion it works like this: If a laptop can be built to match the most powerful desktop available, then next year a more powerful desktop will be built. I would rather have a laptop than anything else.

Even though desktops are more powerful, I think most everyday users aren’t needing it these days. People were driven to buy computers ten years ago because of certain “killer apps”, but those have mostly given way to Internet and cloud-based solutions that only require a minimal amount of local processing power and storage. The desktop market now caters to gamers, multimedia professionals, programmers, and the percentage of users who don’t want to give up the large screen and mouse.

I’m seeing a lot of kids who are brilliant on an iPad, but barely know their way around a PC. That’s where technology is headed, but I worry that it’s going the way of cable TV. In the late 90’s - early 2000’s, there was a sense of being fully in charge of your computer. The Internet was still a “wild west” that was yours to explore and contribute to. That’s starting to disappear with app-centric mobile devices that are built off of mediums/brands like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. If a web browser was like a car that you could drive, a mobile app is like a limousine that takes you directly where you (think you) want to go, but the windows are smoked so you can’t see what else is out there. I get the feeling that kids will grow up accepting the corporate nature of technology and fail to grasp it’s true potential. I guess the same thing is happening with just about everything else.

I really wish that desktops would get more popular again :smiley:
Anybody know about how to build custom laptops? lol

Technically yes…But i dont have a 3d printer…

Lol I had the same idea, but I would need custom mobos, keyboards, screens etc.

And thanks to Ben Heck

The story ends where it began…

Lol