10,000 Posts on the "Fire Alarm General Discussion"

Hey look! Do you see it?
[attachment=1]Screenshot_1.png[/attachment]

Look! It’s right here:
[attachment=0]Screenshot_2.png[/attachment]

Wow guys, 10,000 posts! That super cool for this community. I think this marks a milestone in the high levels of forum participation and how well everyone helps each other out. I may not post here a lot (or be that active and have a nasty habit of bumming posts because I don’t check last post dates), but this group really deserves a pat on the back for how much information they have shared with everyone and how much I have learned from everyone’s experience! :smiley:

So I guess I have turned this into a community thank you message… :roll: Oh the things I do sometimes!

Very cool! This forum has really come a long way and bounced back from some interesting situations. Thank you everyone for making it an informative, drama-free, fun environment. :wink:

And with that, #throwbackthursday to what the forum looked like 8 years ago before it was moved to phpBB and the database was lost. My old username was SDX. The number of posts then shows you how long this community has lived on.

I feel old right now. lol I remember the site even before 2006…the days Ben was still active and we dealt with the whole “peachstapler” drama.

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. I was so young at the time that I thought his trolling was funny. I mostly came on the site because I was jealous of Ben’s collection which seemed HUGE, and was blown away by Calvin’s videos showing the system in his room. I guess that was before YouTube. OK, now I feel kinda old. :lol:

Wow, it seems that YouTube has been around since, forever… I didn’t know this forum was so well established. :lol: That’s what happens when you are a newbie to the forums… still… :wink:

Holy crap, the YaBB days. I remember those in 2006 quite well. We had so much fun on there and ended up proving that a text file “database” cannot handle a forum as large as this one.
By the time Ben moved to phpbb, we had done so much damage – we killed the post counters, caused glitches all over the place… it was as if the thing was being held together with duct tape and band aids. And to sum it up? The text file “database” got so corrupt that it was impossible to convert everything to phpbb.

RIP The Schumin Web (YaBB)… we knew you well.

So it was never intended to go down?

Who the hell would want to crash their own forum? :?

This is starting to remind me of the old Super Mario Bros. X forums, and its migration into the TrekWeb. Good times…

EDIT: I found the (extremely unstable) old Schumin Web community on the Wayback Machine! http://web.archive.org/web/20050305213339/http://community.schuminweb.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=firealarms

How in the world did that happen?!?

Ben probably never expected the site to grow so large, so a flat file database was fine for a small forum back in 2002-ish. But combine tens of thousands of posts, an aging forum platform, and a single text file supporting it all, and you get a corrupted mess that’s FUBAR.