Windows Media Player Won't Open Pictures

I have always used Windows Media Player to view pictures and videos on my computer, but tonight it suddenly stopped working. It no longer lets me view any sort of picture using the program, including PNG, JPG, and JPEG. I get the error message “Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.” However, it plays all my video files fine (MP4 and MOV mostly). Internet searches have come up pretty useless, and the files open correctly in VLC and several other programs. I haven’t changed any settings lately and it seemed to come out of the blue.

My computer:

Dell Inspiron 620
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
With Windows Media Player

I thought pictures opened under Windows Photo Viewer, not Windows Media Player.

(Photo Viewer runs within the EXPLORER.EXE process, I believe)

It’s always been Windows Media Player on my computer. The only time I have ever used Windows Photo Viewer for pictures was for oddball file types like GIF.

That’s odd. Are you sure it’s not the other way around? I don’t think Photo Viewer supports file types other than .JPG, .PNG, and .BMP (to name a few), and it definitely can’t play .GIF files (GIFs were supported in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer program from XP and earlier, but not anymore since Vista).

Try this. Never heard of using WMP for photos…

On Windows Media Player they show up as 4-second long “videos” that loop because I always have it set on repeat. Regardless, after a System Restore I have gotten most of the functionality back, but when I open a picture it always brings up a message searching for “CPDP.msi.” The picture opens but the message is very irritating as it tries to setup the file but continually fails.

EDIT: to clarify my computer came with “Roxio” installed which gives Media Player and Photo Viewer some extra ‘codec’ capabilities.

Typical Dell bloatware lol
Anyways, I have never heard of a video player being able to support opening pictures. Interesting.

So obviously the way I use my computer is an oddity :lol: , so does anyone know where I could get this file? Or should I forget about it and just use Windows Media for videos and something else for the photos? I would prefer the former because WMP is what I am used to.

Windows Photo Viewer, and Windows Explorer’s built in preview suffice for me.

I got the issue fixed for now. Thanks guys.