Simplex 1000 Generator Package

Here are some pictures from a middle school I was at today that had some old disconnected Simplex equipment (circa 1960’s) still hanging around the electrical room. The large cabinet nameplate read “Simplex 1000 Gen Pkg”, an old print inside said it was a “generator package”. I’m assuming this was part of the original time clock system, I’m sure some of the Simplex people on here could fill us in. Looks like there was also an old Simplex fire alarm at one time, the original panel looks like it was removed but an old Simplex cabinet above the new FACP has a nameplate that read “Simplex 4304-8”, now just being used as a wiring junction box. Also below is the notification arrangement in the hallway, an AS horn/strobe, next to a Simplex chime, next to a Simplex bell. I’m guessing the chime was used for the time clock and bell for the fire alarm? Bell just seems kind of small for fire alarm, used to seeing the larger ones.

[attachment=2]IMG_20150108_075627_410.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_20150108_080556_048.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_20150108_080237_327.jpg[/attachment]

That is a 4 frequency generator package for an electronic clock and bell system. This unit is operated by the master clock. This unit places an audio tone on the power which activates a tuned receiver in each clock and bell at the proper time. In this type system no special wiring is needed for the clocks and bells. Every electric circuit in the building is part of the system. Need a clock somewhere. Just tie it in to the nearest non switched circuit. The technical name for this type operation is a “carrier current” system.

The small to medium size generators are in this type package. The motor generator, control panel, coupling capacitors, and other components are all in this one box. In larger generator systems these are separate units. This one is connected to the 480 volt buss which runs to all electric rooms where step down transformers drop that to 120 volt circuits.

Some larger facilities like collage campuses, airports, and other places that have multiple high voltage to 480 step down transformers use generator units tied into the high voltage line feeding the campus. That could be 7,500 volts, 12,500 volts, 25,000 volts, and even 37,500 volts.

The branch technicians that were trained could work on units up to 480 volts insertion. Only a few Simplex HQ people could work on the high line insertion generators.

Very interesting. This thing looks very intimidating! And would explain why it’s located in the main electrical room. I love these old systems but never got into working with any. With everything being wireless, networked, or satellite/GPS based, kind of takes the “romance” of how these electronics worked back in the day!

These were placed in the main electrical room for a couple of reasons. First, there are hazardous voltages inside the cabinet. It is best to be in a locked room so access is limited.

The second, and more important reason, is that the generator unit should be located as close as practical to the main switchgear and buss bars. These units put out a lot of current, so keeping the wiring to the buss bars as short as possible is important to prevent signal loss in the wiring.