My favorite building about to be torn down

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-lns-waukegan-lakefront-deal-st-0618-20150617-story.html

Well, that article explains how this building’s fate is about to be sealed. This building was built originally in 1926 and expanded several times until 1959. My dad worked facility maintenance here for over 40 years and I spent a lot of time with him there, fixing equipment, looking around, and just exploring the old structure. It is really what got me interested in industrial equipment, including fire alarm systems. Since its days are numbered, here’s some pictures I took over the years:

Overall shot of the South Side of the building, 2003.

Overall shot of the North Side of the building, 2003.

Western End “300 Building”, 2015. This was built in 1959 and housed the Product Development Center for developing and testing outboard motors.

Eastern End “200 Building” , 2015. This is part of the original building, built 1926. This was used for corporate offices, environmental, etc. until 2004.

View of the 300 Building from the Docks, 2012

View of 300 Building entrance and rear of Shipping Dock 5 from Parking lot, 2015

View of Water Tower, 2015

Another view of South Side of Building, Dock 5, and Water Tower, 2015

Interior of the 200 Building, 2012

Interior of original manufacturing plant , 2012

Interior of Boiler Room, built in 1969. The boiler in the center (Boiler #2) was cannibalized to keep Boilers #1 & #3 operating.

Its a shame buildings like this are continually being destroyed :frowning: . It will also kinda painful to see a building my dad has kept operating for 40 years go down. I will always remember the nights where I would drive down there with him and help him fix the boilers, chiller, harbor pumps, etc. There was originally a plan to develop the building into a maritime museum around 2005, but the plans fell through.

Thanks for looking.