The door close button in elevators.

Is it true that it doesn’t work during normal operation?

Yes. I believe it’s due to the ADA, however I cannot find a credible source.

Some do work, I was in one of the Metro stations in DC, and the door close did work. Maybe it was just because of that area.

The door close/open button typically only works when the elevator is in fire service or Code Blue mode. Everything, including the doors, is manually controlled when in use by firefighters or medical staff.

It may work during normal operation in some elevators, but is probably just a coincidence of when the door would normally close anyways.

Then that door had no waiting time at all then…

I think it depends on how old the elevator is. In very old elevators the door close button might close the door when pressed.

I’ve only seen it used for independent service and fire service, and I think it’s used for attendant service (when you actually have someone there who’s job it is to operate the elevator controls). Normal service seems to be hit or miss, probably something that can be programmed in the controller per customer request. Some of the older elevators if you hit the already lit floor button it will close the door.