Can Somebody Confirm This?

Is this rectifier actually going to work, or is it not safe? I’ve seen the same thing on multiple sites, but I am still wary.

If you build it correctly to spec it will work fine. The 1N4007 diode is rated at around 1000Vrrm so you shouldn’t have to worry about what voltage you use, but I recommend you stay safe and keep it low. You should also not be drawing more than 1A through your circuit, so you will be fine on that count.

This is also handy if you need explanations for what the units on the datasheet stand for

http://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/14695-defining-diode-data-sheet-parameters

What kind of capacitor would I need to filter the current and where would I put it?

A very quick “rule of thumb” is to use 1,000 micro-farads per amp of current. This will be an electrolytic capacitor so selecting the voltage rating is also critical. Another “RoT” is to use a capacitor rated for double the working voltage of the power supply. For a 12 volt power supply a 35 volt capacitor is fine. For a 24 volt power supply try to find a 50 volt capacitor. Those are the commonly available ratings for low voltage capacitors, so are easier to find. Electrolytic capacitors are polarized. Be sure that one is NEVER connected reverse polarity. They will overheat and can explode. The capacitor is connected to the DC output of the rectifier.

Nick, the site said 1N4001, and you said 1N4007. Is a typographical error, or a difference?

I looked back at the site and it looks like they used both. It says 1N4001 on the first page and 1N4007 on the second. I typed my post while referencing the 1N4007 page. Big mistake on their part, the 1N4007 is rated at 1000V, while the 1N4001 bring you down to 50V.

I apologize for not catching that the first time I looked at it. Just shows the potential dangers of those typos.

You speak of the devil…

Also, where would I put the capacitor?

Thanks for all who helped; it works!