I'm not dead!

Well, here I am again.

It’s been such a long time since I came on my own forum.
I’ve got lots of notifications of new posts and other stuff.
So, I am glad to see that there’s been a lot of activity on here.
Destin has been doing an excellent job taking care of this site for me, and I appreciate that.

So, for those wondering, a little update on what’s been going on, how come I’ve been so inactive with fire alarms.

The first thing is that in June I got a new hobby; well I should actually say it’s an expansion of an existing hobby that’d been laid back – and this is telecom equipment. The expansion is into the realm of the Bell Telephone System, the massive relay based systems which would be on the receiving end of a rotary phone. I’ve started a small collection of rotary phones and I’m expanding it gradually. I’d love to find a small mechanical switching system but they’re very difficult to find. Fortunately for me though, I don’t have to go far to experience such a device, as there is a museum very close by with several salvaged switching systems on display, fully operational, and they let visitors play with them!

The next thing that’s been happening is college is getting much busier for me, since I am getting into some higher level classes that are taking up a lot more of my time than the other classes I had. I’m almost done though! For those wondering, my major is Computer Network Management.

Next up, I’ve decided I won’t be working in the fire alarm field much longer, reason being it’s a dead-end job, meaning the pay caps off at one point and the job ends up being very repetitive after a while. I am capable of so much more, and there are jobs which pay better and interest me more, such as what I am majoring in.

What I am doing for a job right now is I am a part-time programmer for a fairly new emergency notification system company based out of Maine. I’m no longer doing fire alarm work in a normal sense, instead I’m writing code to make this application. This means that From the Field is canceled indefinitely, as I do not expect to have another job working on fire alarms in the field.

In more news, I’ve decided to resume Fun Facts at some point, it’s not completely dead. I’ve just not had much time and don’t really have a list of topics to talk about for each episode. I originally wanted to reboot the series in September but it never happened. I even made the intro for it, which came out amazing… but sucks I never actually used it.

And lastly, I’ve gotten a much more active social life in the last few months now, I’m no longer a guy sitting in his parents’ basement all the time cruising the Internet and playing video games. I’ve recently joined a group and made lots of new local friends who I hang out with fairly often. It’s been very great. We go bowling, go out to eat, have parties, and do charity things to raise money for good causes.

So that’s really where I’ve been over the past several months. I’m not done with fire alarms, I’ve just slowed down a lot, with my collection… I really only am interested in finding the very rare and very odd things now.

P.S. According to the forum, this is my 1,600th post on here. Nice coincidence that this post is a nice round number like that.

I’m glad you are going into programming. Computer work seems to be your forte.

I remember stumbling upon a comment you made on this video. It’s funny how two people can end up watching the same videos.

Actually it’s network administration. Programming is just what I am doing right now but not what I want to make a career out of. I hate office jobs.

Is this why?

I digress.

HAHA actually sometimes it does get that way. The real reason is because I can’t stand sitting (lol that sounds funny) at a computer all day long.

I guess that’d be me, too. I can’t even handle sitting in high school, even with changing classes and my ADHD medication.

It’s the ADHD. I feel your pain. I can’t sit still in class. :lol: I would recommend getting one of these chairs. They are really nice!
http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-Ball-Chairs/dp/B006JBWYDA
You can usually find them in garage sales and other things for cheaper. Good for you back too! Helps with long hours of programming! :smiley:

Oh and Welcome Back!

what was your fire alarm job? inspections?

there’s lots of places to go in the field, and there’s something extremely satisfying about being on the construction side of things. most jobs will get really repetitive and easy after doing it long enough, but jumping into one of the major companies really opens up your opportunities.

for network admin, get an emphasis on security, programming will be a big plus on your resume for that. and as for office jobs… that’s basically what an admin is?

i’d rather switch to coding, but that’s just me. it’s always challenging, constant problem solving, i wish i would’ve stuck with it.

My fire alarm job was mostly inspections, a little bit of service work and installs.

And yeah, I am taking some extra network and system security electives as well.

That’s awesome with everything going on in your life so far, glad to hear its all going well!

Yeah, I’d have to agree with you on the fire alarm job. I’m currently in school for that right now myself, and I’m hopeful to write my CFAA right after I graduate and start working in the field. But, like you said, it is really repetitive work, so I can see myself doing what you’re doing now in a few years from now possibly. I still have my electrical apprentice to do from the last program I took in college, so I’m hoping to also start on that, for when things get too repetitive I have somewhere else to go! Not to mention it pays way better than being a Fire alarm tech (A company near me is looking for licensed techs starting at $40/hr).