Are people required to burp?

I’ve also thought that people are required to burp. It’s like passing gas. However I had a teacher who would tell the class that people don’t actually have to burp and that it was a disgusting thing to do.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Here are some opinions from the medical community.

From the International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorders
http://www.iffgd.org/site/manage-your-health/symptoms-causes/belching
According to the dictionary, to belch is “to bring forth wind noisily from the stomach.” The interchangeable word “burp” does not appear in some dictionaries, but it seems to mean, “cause to belch.”

Belching after a large meal is a normal, necessary venting of air from the stomach. In some societies it is a gesture of appreciation to the host.

From MedicineNet.

The ability to belch is almost universal. Belching, also known as burping (medically referred to as eructation), is the act of expelling gas from the stomach out through the mouth. The usual cause of belching is a distended (inflated) stomach caused by swallowed air. The distention of the stomach causes abdominal discomfort, and the belching expels the air and relieves the discomfort. The common reasons for swallowing large amounts of air (aerophagia) are gulping food or drink too rapidly, anxiety, and carbonated beverages. People are often unaware that they are swallowing air. “Burping” infants during bottle or breastfeeding is important in order to expel air in the stomach that has been swallowed with the formula or milk.

Why does this thread even exist??

It seems ridiculous to me as well. However I once had this teacher who whenever someone in the class would burp and then say “escuse me”. She’d say don’t burp, that’s digusting. They be like “I said excuse me”. And she would say “just don’t do it”.

Yes. The NFPA 72 requires people to burp. How did you know?

No comment. oh wait, this was a comment…

I thought they got rid of that in 2007? Maybe I’m thinking of the flatulence requirement…

One of the kids said to the teacher, I thought we had to burp. She said “no, you don’t, do you ever hear me burp? Burping is rude and disgusting. Polite people never burp.”.

Some people can burp silently, like me. It’s hard to explain, but it involves directing the gaseous air out the nose. But ANYWAY…

Yea, burps dont have to be a loud vocal obnoxious thing, but gases escaping through your mouth is just a normal thing.

We must be talented then…