Did the schools you go to have clock systems?

My first elementary school didn’t have a clock system. The clocks weren’t connected. All the clocks had high up mounted electrical outlets by them that they plugged in to. They all had to be set separately.

My second elementary school, middle school and high school had clock systems where all the clocks were connected and showed the same time.

The school I can remember farthest back with an internal clock system was Tyler Elementary (now Webster Elementary); they recently upgraded to a newer National Time clock system with both analog and digital clocks. Cass Elementary used Simplex clock/speaker combos. Riley Upper Elementary had a mixture of National Time and Simplex clocks. Holmes Middle used original National Time clocks (circa 1967) throughout the whole building. Stevenson High originally had a Standard Electric Time clock system (and clocks), but was completely replaced in the 1990s with a National Time system. The last time I attended Stevenson (2013), I believe they had a National Time MC100 clock panel in place.

Going on to college, some of Eastern Michigan University’s buildings had internal clock systems installed. One example is Strong Hall, which had an original IBM clock system. Many new and modernized buildings on campus now use analog clocks that have to be individually adjusted. At Schoolcraft College, the main campus has virtually all buildings using National Time clock systems, some of which are original to when the buildings first opened (e.g., Liberal Arts Building, Forum). The college’s Radcliff Center–in Garden City–uses a modern analog clock system (LaCrosse?), with at least one older Simplex clock still in place. All the clocks have to be individually set, at least in the classrooms.

My elementary school and middle school both had Simplex 6400 clock systems, installed around 2002? The clocks in both buildings range from Simplex clocks to American Standard ones. The gym at my old middle school has some REALLY old Simplex clocks (literally 60" diameter).

Indian River Elementary did have a digital clock system when I attended there for Pre-K. My Pre-K Classroom had a DuKane Digital Clock, as did a number of places throughout campus. The master time system was integrated with the intercom head-end system. Other than that, my schools mostly had cheap battery clocks in the classrooms.

The elementary schools I attended were not equipped with clock systems. My second elementary school, however, had older electric Faraday clocks in some classrooms.

My high school had a Standard Electric Time clock system with an AR-2A master clock from 1971. The clocks were branded by Unelco (SET’s Canadian division). Unfortunately, the secondary clocks were replaced with cheap battery-operated units in 2007 since many were no longer keeping accurate time.

My university has a variety of systems installed throughout the campus, though I know nothing about the master clocks used in these buildings. Most buildings either have Simplex or American Time clocks, the only exception being the physics building with its Edwards units.

My high school possibly had an older IBM clock/bell system when it was first built. A lot of the clocks they have now (standard Edwards battery operated ones) all have a flush mount backbox behind them, with an IBM label reading “IBM BACKBOX FOR INDICATING CLOCK”. That is now long gone, unfortunately.