Opinions on Separate YT Channels for Different Content

Hey Guys,

I’m looking to see what the general opinion is on having separate YouTube channels for different content, because honestly, I’ve been hung up on this question for a while.

I’ve been posting all of my videos on my original YouTube channel since I started it: mainly fire alarm and signalling devices, industrial equipment, and occasionally railroad locomotives from the local railroad museum. But that’s okay, because all of my videos fall under the same general umbrella: electrical and mechanical equipment.

In addition to my electrical interests, I’ve also had a growing interest in O guage model trains along side. However, I’ve never posted many videos on that subject because it lies so far outside of the general interest of my main YouTube channel.

I’m not really concerned about views, subscribers, all that crap. I just enjoy sharing the stuff I’m interested in and especially things I worked to create. My concern is that these videos will continue to be overlooked (as in the past) when the majority of my viewers are interested in the electrical content I post.

So what’s you guys’ take on this? Should I create another channel dedicated to some of the model train stuff, or leave it all on the channel I have going now?

I think you should take a similar approach as Gamer YouTubers and have the kind of video it is in the title.

Examples:
[list]

• •Model Trains :: What Gauge is Best?
    •Fire Alarms :: What I Like Best
    •Industrial :: The Most Squeaky Hydraulic Press Ever!
  • [/list]

But, it is your decision, and there really aren’t enough suggestions to consider yet. Anyways, I would like to see some model train videos.

On my channel, I mainly post both elevator and fire alarm content, all on the same channel. From what I have experienced, having a mix of content can be nice, as it allows for people interested in one subject to explore another subject, all while watching videos from the same channel. For example, I feel I have gotten a few fire alarm enthusiasts interested in elevators this way. It’s simple, a viewer that has viewed one of my alarm videos may stumble upon one of my elevator videos, and they may give the video a try.

In your case, posting a few O-Scale videos on your main channel will add to your mix of videos, and may get a few people that normally watch your electrical stuff interested into model trains. This will also attract other viewers that are looking for O-scale videos. You never know, you may even get them interested in electrical stuff!

Overall, maybe keeping the O-Scale videos will allow your current viewers to experience something new, and get them interested (electrical viewers viewing your O-Scale stuff). This will also new viewers, and you may even get them interested in your main content (O-Scale viewers viewing your electrical content).

These are simply my thoughts from my experiences on YouTube; you may still want to separate your viewers by starting a separate channel.