My Unicomp Model M is all kinds of screwed up. Help?

I’ve been having problems with my Ultra Classic recently and I’m basically about to throw the sucker out the window and buy a proper Model M, but before I do that let’s see if the fine folks here at TFP can help me.

So basically every time I plug it into my PC, it constantly types * or ` or ~ as if something is pressing the keys down. I’ve tried it on different ports, and I’ve even tried it on other computers, so it isn’t a problem with my computer as far as I can tell. I’ve given all the keys a thorough cleaning, so I’m not sure what the problem is?

Any advice, TFP? Or should I just chuck the darn thing away and get another keyboard? Because I can tell you right now this Dynex POS I’m typing this on isn’t going to do.

First a few questions:

1. Did you check it for liquid damage?
  2. How long ago did this start?
  3. Operating System and Other Specs?
  4. Does it do it right when you plug it in?

IIRC Correctly, you have a mechanical keyboard (Weighs about 20 lbs or something ridiculous like that… A massive paper weight, I can see why you want to know whether to chuck it or not… :lol: )

Could you post a video of it doing this too?

No liquid damage was apparent when I took all the keys off to clean it.
I hardly, if ever, drink anything around it so I don’t think it could be that. I learned my lesson back in 2014 when I fried my old PC.
It only started doing it a few days ago, so I’m not quite sure what’s going on.
The computers I use it with are (mainly) my HP Envy 17t and (sometimes) my Lenovo G50-45. The HP runs Windows 10 and the Lenovo runs Ubuntu Linux.
Actually, when I first plug it in Windows plays the “hardware inserted” jingle, but nothing happens. The keyboard lights don’t illuminate and it doesn’t register keypresses. Then when I unplug it and plug it back in, that’s when it starts.

So it does that on both machines? And you tried other USB Ports?

Yep, and in each and every port.

Well, it bit the big one. I took it apart to clean it and all the little plastic rivets fell out and I saw a big burn mark on the board. Something metal must’ve gotten in there and shorted the thing. Oh well. Time to get a new keyboard I guess.

Can you take a picture of where the magic smoke escaped?

Too late. It’s already in the recycling center graveyard.

LOL. Oops. Oh well.

We need to make it a forum rule then.

Rule P15: All failures of electronics must be photographically documented…

And you get a warning from a Moderator if you break it… :lol:

Anyways. Be sure to make a post when you get your new keyboard. :slight_smile:

But what if it’s the camera that fails?

You’ll find a way…