do you miss kmart?

do you miss kmart? is there still a kmart where you live? the kmart near me closed recently.

I think mine did too. I’m starting to feel like we live within close proximity to each other (based on the alarm system you described in a previous post, and this one). Was the parking lot on yours built on top of a garbage dump?

I don’t think that I have been to a K-Mart in YEARS. Its always Wal-Mart or Target.

There are several hundred less Kmart stores now than there were decades ago. The stores that are still open are often dated inside and out. In some of my more recent visits to stores–particularly the one in Livonia–I’ve seen vintage fixtures still in place, leaky ceilings (the Livonia store, in particular, had multiple drop-ceiling tiles removed and tubes running down from them into containers for collecting water), and an overall ghostly atmosphere all-around. Some departments have been downsized significantly as well; the video games section, for example, is no longer present in any of the stores. I even remember some auto centers that were a part of Kmart stores, many of which are no longer operating.

These days, Kmart (and Sears) stores have not done enough to stay in competition with other big-box or discount retailers. I, for one, have not cared too much about going back to shop there again. For the nostalgia, however, and for the chain’s beginnings in Michigan (under the S.S. Kresge banner), it will be missed by thousands if and when the chain liquidates.

I’ve been to a SEARS recently and it seems to be up-to-date so I wouldn’t say that they aren’t doing enough to stay in competition.

Theres still a Kmart near me doing good

I will admit though that I never see anymore commercials for K-Mart.

This is my second time writing this post as my internet dropped out while writing and I lost all of it.

The “Big K” Kmart that is near me has been around since the late 70’s to early 80’s seems to be fine, I rarely see ads for it though. Sometimes there will be something in the Sunday newspaper (the one with all the ads in it). But the main thing I hear about people going to Kmart for is fireworks, in New Jersey they are illegal, but over the Ben Franklin, 20 min drive for me, around an hour for most of SJ, in Philly you can buy them in Kmart’s, the last few times I’ve heard of anyone going to Kmart was for either a Christmas gift or fireworks in Philly. ( let me be clear, if fireworks are illegal where you are, then they are illegal, I DO NOT encourage you to do this, and you didn’t hear it from me)

Oh and yes, the Kmart’s around here look super dated, but even with that, none look all that bad.