Godspeed, John Glenn.

Today we again mark the passing of one of America’s greats. John Herschel Glenn, Jr., America’s first person to orbit the earth, passed away today at the age of 95. His two missions, Friendship 7 and STS-95 Discovery, were historic in two different ways; one being the first American manned orbital flight, and the second being the flight that brought the oldest man into space.
A US Marine, Glenn entered the astronaut corps as one of the original “Mercury Seven” and instantly became a favorite among the public. His first spaceflight was aboard the then-problematic, now-reliable Atlas rocket, where he completed three orbits before reentering the atmosphere after some concerns about a detached heatshield. He was also the first American to eat in space, having consumed a small tube of applesauce, sugar tablets, and water.
STS-95 again saw Glenn into space, this time as the subject of numerous blood tests on the oldest person ever to go into space.
Between his two spaceflights and even afterward he was a very active member of Congress from 1974 to 1999.
He is survived by his wife Annie, and his children Carolyn Ann and John David Glenn.

RIP John Glenn. You deserve to take a nice-long eternal rest for all that you have helped us with regarding space travel.

I wonder if he’ll get a space burial on one of the Cargo-Ships going to the ISS… That’d be pretty cool.

Well I would hope so because of how involved he was with space.

I heard about that on the news the other day. RIP

It is truly a loss, even though some people may not have known John Glenn that well. Several high schools in the nation are named for him, including at least two in Michigan.