2018 Reboot?

Wow, seems like EVERYONE is coming back to this hobby again :smiley:
Not sure what spurred my decision, but I recently went on a bit of a spree and bought 4 new devices, after not buying any in probably close to 5 years? Wow.
So for those that remember, or don’t, I used to make videos YEARS ago as kirby636, and then moved over to chandos636 in 2013. I had a homemade, relay-based panel that actually worked great, and then I got my SFP-2404. I made a few videos but not having money for new devices kinda stopped me from making more system tests, and focusing on other things like school and my social life put my alarm hobby on the backburner. Now that I’m just working full-time, I’ve had a lot more time for myself. I’ve taken up a few new hobbies such as playing and creating maps for OMSI 2, programming, fursuiting (yes I’m a furry now lmfao), and now fire alarms are starting to come back. I still have a decent collection of AVs and pull stations, however I currently don’t have a legitimate panel at the moment. I am strongly considering just building my own with an arduino until I can find a FireShield for a really great price (yes I still want a FireShield lol). But to be fair, a panel definitely isn’t necessary.

There is one issue, however. I’ve moved out of my parents’ beautiful house and into an apartment with 11 other units in the building. In my good conscious, and I think legally, I cannot set off my alarms, at least my horns, while I reside here. This isn’t a make-or-break issue, though. I have a decent amount of remote strobes or 4 wire horn/strobes I can use for signals. I will admit it isn’t as satisfying as having a audible signal, but I’m doing what I can. I also don’t have the space like I used to. I figure I can maybe make a small board again with a panel, 1 or 2 zones and 2 AVs, but I’ll wait for now.

I would like to make videos again, although making them now might not be feasible. I could make progress videos of panel development, and short strobe test videos when I get my T1i back from my parents. I do plan to upgrade my apartment to a townhouse soon, which would allow me to make short system test videos. I do not plan on making a home system, just a demo on a big board, possibly taking over a wall in my basement.

Based on what I can do, what would you guys like to see me put out? Also what have I missed these last few years? I know SS has the L-series now, LED strobes are a thing, but what about the community? Are there other groups out there? I vaguely recall reading about a discord server on a comment. Also, anyone else in there 20s like me? Lol. Good to be back guys, and I’m excited to produce more content for you all :slight_smile:

[quote=FurrehHuskeh post_id=80783 time=1528656122 user_id=2774] In my good conscious, and I think legally, I cannot set off my alarms... [/quote]

I don’t see any real legal issues with you doing it…

[quote=randomperson post_id=80788 time=1528662297 user_id=3878] [quote=FurrehHuskeh post_id=80783 time=1528656122 user_id=2774] In my good conscious, and I think legally, I cannot set off my alarms... [/quote]

I don’t see any real legal issues with you doing it…

[/quote]

Could be confused for the building’s FA system? Maybe?