Request for rule change

Got a suggestion for the site, or got some feedback? Feel free to post it right here.

Not allow the posting of private information relating to residence or current location IE a hotel

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

FireAlarmTech4010
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Re: Request for rule change

Post by FireAlarmTech4010 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 am

ethanorr wrote:They should change the rules. If you put your school, a guest could be looking for kids to get, and could track you down. None of you would do that, but that is dangerous, because the way criminals are this day, if you put in USA, it may take years, but they could still find you. So if The Fire Panel changes that, it will be a lot safer for all of us. Many here are still in high school, or even middle school. Criminals today are just outstanding at how they track down people these days. I forgot who posted this, but thank you. Putting down your location of even state could kill you. LITERALY!!!!!!!!!!
Jake posted it, and you seem like you are overreacting. Read my post and all the other ones arguing this....
Justin
---------
Brands of alarms in my collection: FPASE(homemade), EST, Firelite, Simplex, Wheelock
FPASEintelliprox. Making the future sooner.

Prog
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: CODMarioWarfare

Post by Prog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:47 pm

ethanorr wrote:the way criminals are this day, if you put in USA, it may take years, but they could still find you.
Not true. I live in the state of CT. Use that to pinpoint where I am. You can't because that doesn't make any sense.
ethanorr wrote:The Fire Panel changes that, it will be a lot safer for all of us.
It's not TFP's responsibility to tell me not to post where I live/work/attend school. I should be able to release the info that I want to.
ethanorr wrote:Criminals today are just outstanding at how they track down people these days. I forgot who posted this, but thank you. Putting down your location of even state could kill you
Yeah, no it can't. Now you know what state I live in, but can you trace my county/town/school/home?
LITERALY!!!!!!!!!!
Settle down, Beavis.

MrNerd
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Post by MrNerd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Prog wrote:
ethanorr wrote:The Fire Panel changes that, it will be a lot safer for all of us.
It's not TFP's responsibility to tell me not to post where I live/work/attend school. I should be able to release the info that I want to.
OH let me make it VERY clear to you prog, that with me as the new safety moderator of this forum, no you will not be doing that here and it is in fact our responsibility to keep our young members safe.
Saftey Moderator

MrNerd
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Post by MrNerd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Prog wrote:
ethanorr wrote:Criminals today are just outstanding at how they track down people these days. I forgot who posted this, but thank you. Putting down your location of even state could kill you
Yeah, no it can't. Now you know what state I live in, but can you trace my county/town/school/home?
As excited as this young member may get I am impressed with his knowledge. He is 100% correct. With enough pieces to the puzzle someone can figure out who you are. With enough photos or bits of information people can be located unintentionally. Amazingly someone who is so against this rule, knows nothing about what you are debating against. This is exactly why we are now working to keep the entire community safe, especially because a majority of the members here are so young. We appreciate your anticipated cooperation.
Saftey Moderator

Prog
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Post by Prog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:20 pm

I won't be, I just feel that I should be able to if I choose.

Destin
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: thesdx

Post by Destin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Guys, Jake is right on this one. In his line of work, he has direct experience with these issues and is trying to look out for the forum's best interest. Again, I think the only reason that some are objecting is that it involves a rule - aka something that restricts your freedom of speech. But let's be honest, do you foresee any situation in the future where not being allowed to post your location information publicly would be a detriment to your post? In the years that I've been on this forum, I've only seen a couple of users post personal info, all of which was irrelevant to the discussion. Even if the chances of predators lurking on these forums are slim, so are house fires. Yet we can all agree that smoke detectors are worth the small cost, right?

I've only been on the mod team for a few days now, but I've known the staff on this forum for a long time and can assure you that no one is trying to oppress your forum experience or take away rights just for the hell of it. The staff here really does try to constantly weigh the strictness of the rules all while maintaining a quality forum. At least I know that I wholeheartedly care about both the experience and safety of the members on this forum and would speak up as I have done in the past if I felt that this rule was too out of hand.

I'd like to see this discussion draw to a close as an agreement is hopefully reached. For those who still have concerns (Prog), I think it would be beneficial to talk to me, Jake, or any other staff member one-on-one so we can address your specific concerns directly. I would ask that any further discussion here be kept entirely civil and unpointed for the purpose of keeping this forum friendly and undivided. Thanks! :)
Destin L. (thesdx)
My Website — FireAlarmCollector.com
My YouTube Channel
I'm no longer very active on here, but if you wish to contact me, feel free to send me a PM. :wink:

Prog
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Post by Prog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm cool with it.

tsscman123
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: TssCman123

Post by tsscman123 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Destin convinced me, I voted "yes". :D

FireAlarmTech4010
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Post by FireAlarmTech4010 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 am

Jake wrote:
Prog wrote:
OH let me make it VERY clear to you prog, that with me as the new safety moderator of this forum, no you will not be doing that here and it is in fact our responsibility to keep our young members safe.
Safety moderator? Great.....
Justin
---------
Brands of alarms in my collection: FPASE(homemade), EST, Firelite, Simplex, Wheelock

FireAlarmTech4010
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Post by FireAlarmTech4010 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 am

I still say NO.
Justin
---------

Nathan
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!
YouTube Username: nathan12345toto

Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:32 pm

FireAlarmTech4010 wrote:
Jake wrote:
Safety moderator? Great.....
He is also an administrator. Why so mean?
Nathan H.

Registered user on TFP

The Big Green
Wiki Team Member

Post by The Big Green » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:41 pm

FireAlarmTech4010 wrote:Safety moderator? Great.....
You shouldn't be complaining. You're the one that started this mess!
Director of Sarcasm

FireAlarmTech4010
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Post by FireAlarmTech4010 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Nathan wrote: He is also an administrator. Why so mean?
JAKE is a ADMIN?! Has the world gone mad?
Justin
---------

MrNerd
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Post by MrNerd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm

FireAlarmTech4010 wrote:
Nathan wrote: He is also an administrator. Why so mean?
JAKE is a ADMIN?! Has the world gone mad?

Excuse me?
Saftey Moderator

FireAlarmTech4010
I'm Banned!
I'm Banned!

Post by FireAlarmTech4010 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Jake wrote: Excuse me?
Herewegoagain...
Justin
---------