Suggestion: Introductory Post Requirement

Does anyone else think users should introduce themselves before they start posting/asking questions?

I’ve noticed lots of users (and even professionals) who pop in without even telling us who they are. This seems petty, but it makes a big difference when we know they care about the community, and are courteous enough to introduce themselves before asking questions.

Some of you may remember this rule, as they enforced it on the DFA.

Once again, this isn’t a huge deal, but really makes a big difference. If I’m the only one, I’ll shut up. 8)

I don’t think we should because many users come here needing help and leave as soon as their question has been answered. I’ve done the same on other forums, and no one wants to fulfill a mandatory post before they can ask their question. It might not be a bad idea to have a forum where users can introduce themselves if they wish, but making it a requirement would turn some folks away.

I believe in avoiding “rule creep”. This forum already has more rules than most do, and new users may be intimidated to participate if they perceive that we’re an in-group with a restrictive atmosphere. I think a mandatory introduction post may give the vibe that we don’t want drop-in users. I’ve actually been thinking a lot about that lately and whether or not we could stand to relax a few rules.

There is a post like that already…
<URL url="Introduce Yourself text=“viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5575”>Introduce Yourself

[quote=“computertech24”]
There is a post like that already…
<URL url="Introduce Yourself text=“viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5575”>Introduce Yourself]

Do you even know what I’m talking about?

I appealed for a new rule that people would post THERE before posting anything. However, Destin has a very true point, and has proved me otherwise.

Like Destin, I would also argue against making this a requirement. It should be up to the poster whether or not s/he wants to provide details about their personal lives or to just remain anonymous.

I agree here. Another forum attempted this at one point and began losing hits.
I heard that forum also had a mandatory test that new members would have to take to ensure they read the rules.

I think it is not a good idea for this forum.

I appreciate your feedback, however.

I agree, I don’t really think that it is a good idea as it might make us come off as kind of snobbish and clique-y which no one can be part of.

Pardon me, Simplex 4051, but I honestly do not see the logic behind this potential rule coming off as either of those.

Well, most of us didn’t have to make intro posts so if we force others to, it might make it seem like we are all one big group and the new member might feel left out of the forum.

Actually, introductory posts will do the opposite- let the community know where this new member is coming from, so we don’t single them out. (Which we shouldn’t anyway, but whatever)

/runon