New Board Rules?

Got a suggestion for the site, or got some feedback? Feel free to post it right here.
Locked
HenBasket
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:39 am
YouTube Username: HenBasket

New Board Rules?

Post by HenBasket » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

I recently read a post by kevtistic which got me thinking, what if someone or a copyrighted piece of art appears in a photo on TFP?
I believe that new board rules should be added regarding privacy, activities that could be taken as suspicious, and copyright. I know that the DMCA has rules on copyright, but I feel it necessary we have rules to enforce the rules the Act put into place.
I will post any other ideas I come up regarding this topic, and am willing to have a civilized discussion on any part someone disagrees with, but keep in mind, kevtistic was the one who inspired me for this suggestion.
Roses are red, heavy steel beam
I need a rhyme to finish this meme

User avatar
kcin556
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 pm
YouTube Username: kcin556
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New Board Rules?

Post by kcin556 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:22 pm

I feel like any issues in terms of what you are suggesting would occur so infrequently it would be better dealt with on a one-time basis.

In general, copyright issues only come to light if the person who holds the copyright files a complaint.
Nick - Moderator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 Alarm Website - kcin556 on YouTube - Fire Alarm Sales

kevtistic
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:34 am

Re: New Board Rules?

Post by kevtistic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:15 pm

I would like to chime in. For a lot of people--especially younger users that may not be fully aware of when it is considered okay to snap pictures--the issue of privacy should really be taken into consideration. The last thing anybody on the forums might want is a lawsuit over images containing copyrighted or sensitive materials that pose a security risk if released without authorization.

Suppose that a law enforcement agency wants access to the forums in order to gather information to assist in a case involving invasion of privacy. If there are rules in a setting that specifically forbids photography (e.g., displayed on signage or told via oral communication), and a user takes pictures anyway with the intent of posting them on the forums, that raises a serious risk if that user gets caught and legal action is taken.

User avatar
ccs46
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:09 pm
YouTube Username: ccs4646
Location: North Central Florida, USA

New Board Rules?

Post by ccs46 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:36 pm

As Andrew and John are not making money by charging for access to this form, I really don't think anyone would care. They would probably see it as free advertisement. As Nick Said, this really should be a case by case basis.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenBasket
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:39 am
YouTube Username: HenBasket

Re: New Board Rules?

Post by HenBasket » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:48 am

Sorry for bump.
I know it's been a while since this has been last posted on, but I still think it would be smart to add something about this in the rules. Just in case a company whose content happens to appear in a photo on this forum will know that there are rules regarding copyrighted material.

On the other hand, we could have users blur any potentially copyrighted material using a photo editing app or software. That way, we could still have the photo up, and the material would be seen only as a blur.
Roses are red, heavy steel beam
I need a rhyme to finish this meme

User avatar
kcin556
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 pm
YouTube Username: kcin556
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New Board Rules?

Post by kcin556 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 am

Technically, the logo on every fire alarm device we post here is "copyrighted" or trademarked. I still hold the position that there would be an issue so infrequently that it is best deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Plus, any photo taken from a publicly accessible location (meaning you could go there and see it yourself without trespassing) is exempt from copyright rules.
Nick - Moderator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 Alarm Website - kcin556 on YouTube - Fire Alarm Sales

User avatar
The Big Green
Wiki Team Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Mass

Re: New Board Rules?

Post by The Big Green » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:05 pm

I know my opinion does not matter because I am not a moderator, but I don't think we should create rules just for the sake of creating rules. Both this forum and the DFA have been running since the 2000s, and no problems involving copyright infringement have occurred (as far as I know). Not to mention the entire point is moot because of what Nick specified about public pictures not infringing on rights.
The Big Green- Director of Sarcasm

Samson
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: New Board Rules?

Post by Samson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:44 am

electronicwiz101 wrote:Sorry for bump.
I know it's been a while since this has been last posted on, but I still think it would be smart to add something about this in the rules. Just in case a company whose content happens to appear in a photo on this forum will know that there are rules regarding copyrighted material.

On the other hand, we could have users blur any potentially copyrighted material using a photo editing app or software. That way, we could still have the photo up, and the material would be seen only as a blur.
kcin556 wrote:Technically, the logo on every fire alarm device we post here is "copyrighted" or trademarked. I still hold the position that there would be an issue so infrequently that it is best deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Plus, any photo taken from a publicly accessible location (meaning you could go there and see it yourself without trespassing) is exempt from copyright rules.
Nick summed it up best, any photo taken from a publicly accessible location is exempt from copyright rules.
There is no need to blur company logos or what you are calling copyrighted materials.
The Big Green wrote:I know my opinion does not matter because I am not a moderator, but I don't think we should create rules just for the sake of creating rules. Both this forum and the DFA have been running since the 2000s, and no problems involving copyright infringement have occurred (as far as I know). Not to mention the entire point is moot because of what Nick specified about public pictures not infringing on rights.
Hey now, i listen to the member's opinions :)

I will agree, we aren't going to create rules for the sake of making rules. This forum has been running for a long long long long time, and there has not been any type of issues involving copyright infringement.

If new rules are to be created, it will be done so by Administration for a proper reason. At this time, no rules will be made, however if the time comes, all members will be made aware of rules. :D
Samson B. - Administrator
If you have any questions or concerns please send me a PM.
My YouTube - My eBay Store

Locked