TheFirePanel.com Down?

I have been inactive on the forum for awhile, but since I’ve finally had some free time recently I started browsing eBay to see if anything interesting got listed. I saw a Simplex TrueAlert and decided I should check if it was SmartSync, etc, but when I went to click on the model number checker link the page did not load. I waited a few days and decided to check again today, still the site is down. I don’t think this is just on my end, as it appears to happen on cellular too.
This doesn’t happen on the forums.thefirepanel.com subdomain, only the root and www zones.

Here is the error that comes up in Firefox:

Here is the ping response, it times out.
[code]Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.309]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Admin>ping thefirepanel.com

Pinging thefirepanel.com [149.56.119.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 149.56.119.10:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Admin>[/code]

Here is the ping for forums.thefirepanel.com
[code]C:\Users\Admin>ping forums.thefirepanel.com

Pinging forums.thefirepanel.com [173.254.238.134] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.254.238.134: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=49
Reply from 173.254.238.134: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=49
Reply from 173.254.238.134: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=49
Reply from 173.254.238.134: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 173.254.238.134:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 93ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 95ms

C:\Users\Admin>[/code]
The ARIN WHOIS data says that the IP points to an OVH vps, something similar happened when I forgot to pay my bill, so it could be that.
[code]#

ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use

available at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/tou/

If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at

ARIN - American Registry for Internet Numbers

The following results may also be obtained via:

Whois-RWS

start

NetRange: 149.56.119.0 - 149.56.119.255
CIDR: 149.56.119.0/24
NetName: OVH-DEDICATED-149-56-119-0-FO
NetHandle: NET-149-56-119-0-1
Parent: HO-2 (NET-149-56-0-0-1)
NetType: Reassigned
OriginAS: AS16276
Organization: OVH (NWK) (ON-6)
RegDate: 2016-03-28
Updated: 2016-03-28
Comment: Dedicated Servers
Ref: Whois-RWS

OrgName: OVH (NWK)
OrgId: ON-6
Address: 165 Halsey Street
City: Newark
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 07102
RegDate: 2012-07-11
Updated: 2012-07-11

OrgAbuseHandle: NOC11876-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: NOC
OrgAbusePhone: +1-855-684-5463
OrgAbuseEmail: noc@ovh.net
OrgAbuseRef: Whois-RWS

OrgTechHandle: NOC11876-ARIN
OrgTechName: NOC
OrgTechPhone: +1-855-684-5463
OrgTechEmail: noc@ovh.net
OrgTechRef: Whois-RWS

end

start

NetRange: 149.56.0.0 - 149.56.255.255
CIDR: 149.56.0.0/16
NetName: HO-2
NetHandle: NET-149-56-0-0-1
Parent: NET149 (NET-149-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS:
Organization: OVH Hosting, Inc. (HO-2)
RegDate: 2016-02-09
Updated: 2016-02-10

OrgName: OVH Hosting, Inc.
OrgId: HO-2
Address: 800-1801 McGill College
City: Montreal
StateProv: QC
PostalCode: H3A 2N4
RegDate: 2011-06-22
Updated: 2017-01-28

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE3956-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse
OrgAbusePhone: +1-855-684-5463
OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@ovh.ca
OrgAbuseRef: Whois-RWS

OrgTechHandle: NOC11876-ARIN
OrgTechName: NOC
OrgTechPhone: +1-855-684-5463
OrgTechEmail: noc@ovh.net
OrgTechRef: Whois-RWS

end

[/code]

This issue isn’t a huge deal, but is more of a minor inconvenience as iirc not much else is on the domain.

forums.thefirepanel.com also used to point to 149.56.119.10, so what I’m assuming happened is that TFP switched hosting providers and forgot to change the DNS settings for the homepage “site”.

[quote=randomperson post_id=79697 time=1522113772 user_id=3878]

forums.thefirepanel.com also used to point to 149.56.119.10, so what I’m assuming happened is that TFP switched hosting providers and forgot to change the DNS settings for the homepage “site”.

[/quote]

Yeah that was probably it then, this year OVH raised their prices by a few bucks so it wouldn’t be crazy to want to switch hosts.

When a change is made to a different host provider the DNS information is changed at the domain registrar. That information has to propagate to all the DNS servers across the entire web. That can take 24 to 48 hours. The usual recommendation is to shut down the account at the old host after the DNS information has circulated around the web to the new host. That applies well for a static web site. For a forum site some information could be lost depending on which copy of the site is being accessed during the DNS propagation. Shutting down the old site account first will inconvenience some people but all the posts will be made at the new host when the DNS update gets to the server your ISP uses.

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=79706 time=1522163184 user_id=3047]

When a change is made to a different host provider the DNS information is changed at the domain registrar. That information has to propagate to all the DNS servers across the entire web. That can take 24 to 48 hours. The usual recommendation is to shut down the account at the old host after the DNS information has circulated around the web to the new host. That applies well for a static web site. For a forum site some information could be lost depending on which copy of the site is being accessed during the DNS propagation. Shutting down the old site account first will inconvenience some people but all the posts will be made at the new host when the DNS update gets to the server your ISP uses.

[/quote]

DNS propagation can be a serious pain and can take quite awhile, but I have never seen it take over 4 days, which is how long its been since I first noticed. I use the Google Public DNS, which usually picks stuff up quickly, and I’ve flushed my dns cache. I recently updated my own dns records, which updated properly, so it appears my computer is able to pickup new records. Is everyone else able to access the site?

Still down for me… Wondering if Andrew decided to close it down? If so, that’s really unfortunate and I would hope that maybe we can get the Simplex Model Number Checker moved to somewhere? I’m in the midst of setting up my site and I’d be happy to do it if Andrew just wants to move on, but I’m not sure what he plans to do…

[quote=TheAlmightyZach post_id=79743 time=1522361511 user_id=3249]

Still down for me… Wondering if Andrew decided to close it down? If so, that’s really unfortunate and I would hope that maybe we can get the Simplex Model Number Checker moved to somewhere? I’m in the midst of setting up my site and I’d be happy to do it if Andrew just wants to move on, but I’m not sure what he plans to do…

[/quote]

It would be nice to have back, I think it was just a php script that maybe checked against a sql database of some other database storage. I’ll see if I can put something like it together on my site, I’m on spring break now so maybe I’ll add it to my list of things to do.

It’d be a HUGE database to rebuild… I hope if Andrew doesn’t want to host it anymore, maybe he can just publicly share the DB…

Then it will be a lot of FUN. In all seriousness I’ll try to crowdsource the data through this forum and some of the Simplex docs.

As an update to this: FireAlarmTech9 and I have been working together to each host the same data on our respective websites, that way we both have it, and both systems work. Though the data is the same, the databases are hosted separately of each other so that should one go down, the other acts as a backup. As of now, we have 55 model numbers in the system, but still have plenty to add!

FireAlarmTech9’s Simplex Checker: https://firealarms.gq/simplex/checker.php

My Simplex Checker: The Fire Panel

If anyone is looking for these tools, please use them! If you are unsure of a model number, and we don’t have it in our DB yet, please reach out to us and we will try to track down the model number and figure out what category it falls into. If you know model numbers and their type, but they aren’t in our DB yet, please let us know! FireAlarmTech9’s site allows you to add numbers directly to the DB, so please add them! https://wiki.firealarms.gq/index.php/Simplex_Check_Editor

I have created a short url for each site.
FAT9’s page is http://bit.ly/SChck1
Zach’s page is The Fire Panel
Hope that makes quick access easier.

Wouldn’t want to be in the same room as that strobe!