Revert the forum theme

While I understand people wanted a red theme, I believe that the color should not have come at the expense of using the site on mobile. The new theme appears to be severely outdated as there is no mobile version. It is near impossible for me to use the site without zooming in and squinting.

The theme is pretty old (from subsilver in phpBB2), but has been modded over the years.

It looks good on my Galaxy Note 8 though.

We understand that mobile is important! The team is mostly doing some testing here, and hoping to show the community that there is active work going into The Fire Panel Forums. Stay tuned, because we are working on new themes that look and function great on both mobile, and desktop! :wink:

Okay, thanks! At the moment, there is some conrast issues. Also, would it be possible to make it so that the text fields aren’t white? It’s really harsh on the eyes at night.

IMHO it looks fine on my P8Lite (Pra-lx1) but in landscape mode… If I use it in portrait mode it looks like really blurry)

Please revert it! It does not scale properly on iPhone.

We definitely hear all of you - we are currently working on the theme, so much of what you see is a work-in-progress as we go through various styles. We figured its better to keep the forums available to you all throughout the changes than to lock it out for maintenance - hopefully dealing with some wacky themes for a few days is an acceptable trade off for still having access :wink:

Can you guys just revert it back to the old aluminum theme?

[quote=Synther post_id=81742 time=1537686591 user_id=4639]

Can you guys just revert it back to the old aluminum theme?

[/quote]

What do you think of it now?

Hopefully this very updated theme suits everyone quite a bit better! :wink:

Wow, this is much better than the other two! If phpBB allowed for local theme switching, I’d request a dark version of this theme. Probably something like the gray at the bottom would be nice for that.

Edit: Unfortunately, the server crash that happened two years ago seems to have done irreparable damage to the FAQ page. Fortunately, the damage is limited only to style, as it functions as it should.

WOAH Y’ALL! This theme looks so awesome and gives a really modern and sleek touch to the Fire Panel Forums. Thanks so much for your had work!

[quote=HenBasket post_id=81769 time=1537847280 user_id=3469]

If phpBB allowed for local theme switching, I’d request a dark version of this theme. Probably something like the gray at the bottom would be nice for that.

[/quote]

I mean the white for text and red for links. Should have made that clear.

It’s not bad I will say. Honestly I don’t hate it :wink:. It’s “enjoyable” to say for the least :lol:

Personally I think it’s a step in the right direction. I could get used to this :slight_smile:

That theme, it feels like sleek simple yet elegant! Huzzah!

[quote=HenBasket post_id=81769 time=1537847280 user_id=3469]

Wow, this is much better than the other two! If phpBB allowed for local theme switching, I’d request a dark version of this theme. Probably something like the gray at the bottom would be nice for that.
[Snip! Ça va couper !]

[/quote]

It does allow local theme switching, à few forums I am registered on have multiple website themes that you can choose.

[quote=Alexis_T post_id=81777 time=1537854411 user_id=3602]

It does allow local theme switching, à few forums I am registered on have multiple website themes that you can choose.

[/quote]

Unless I missed something during our testing phase, due to the nature of this theme in particular, I do not believe there is a way for us to offer multiple variants of this theme, at least not at this time. I will, however, look into it with the team to see if a dark theme may somehow be an option.

Why are you guys changing everything? Why cant you just stick with the old theme?

The icons are too big in this new theme, and its hard to navigate around the site. Half the site is using the old theme, while the other half is using the current one. The new theme is also overly-complicated. As far as I know, this new theme was completely unasked for, and you guys made the decision without asking the rest of the people who actually use the site.

Because editing posts apparently no-longer exists, ill just make a new post.
There isnt a “mark forums read” button. Just another reason to do away with the new theme…

[quote=Synther post_id=81784 time=1537864373 user_id=4639]

Because editing posts apparently no-longer exists, ill just make a new post.
There isnt a “mark forums read” button. Just another reason to do away with the new theme…

[/quote]

I can say wholeheartedly that regardless of themes, the ability to edit or delete posts has been limited. I recall sometime within the past year when I actually had to have a moderator edit a post for me as well.

The old theme was the default phpBB theme, and was really never intended to be the theme of the forums, but happened to be there when the server crash happened in 2016. We instead opted to go with a theme that is more mobile friendly, more modern, and brings a fresh but fitting look to the forums.

You stated two issues. Regarding the old and new theme being mixed together in different areas, this should not be the case. Your browser may have cached the old version, which might just need you to clear your cache or try to refresh the page. If you still have issues, however, please let us know where you are seeing the old theme.

As for the mark forum as read button, this is something that we can admit and say we didn’t notice it was missing. However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t add it ourselves here, so we will look into what is necessary and I’m sure we can get that button back in the near future.

We do appreciate feedback, but it is important to know that in life, things change, and sometimes that change will be out of our control. If we can’t learn to adapt to change and just go with the flow, then life wouldn’t be all that enjoyable, as we live in an ever changing world.