Use of Auditorium as Shelter

This is the place to talk about weather, such as services, forecasts, emergencies, the science of meteorology... stuff like that.
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:19 am

Hey guys!

I was thinking over tornado safety procedures at my school. I realized that they use the auditorium and stage as designated shelters for the fine arts wing of the school.

That got me thinking - is it possible to design an auditorium (seating about 600 persons) to effectively shelter a large group of people at once? They should have thought about that in their plans - otherwise they could be in serious trouble since severe weather is a common occurrence in my area.
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to live safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!

Also a noob at fire alarm systems. :P
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Generally you avoid areas with large ceiling spans, like gyms or auditoriums. It's a pretty weak point in the grand scope of things.
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Synther
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: Tristan Gillett

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Most certainly not a good idea. This is a security camera clip from the 2012 Henryville, Indiana F4 tornado. Id imagine something similar would happen during an earthquake.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Yeah that definitely is a lot of damage.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.