I Love Thunderstorms

This is the place to talk about weather, such as services, forecasts, emergencies, the science of meteorology... stuff like that.
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:34 pm

I have to agree with you. It's really amazing how powerful the energy transfer that takes place in each lightning strike is and the processes that must take place for that big of a charge to form. Yet people still blow it off as a nuisance :) .

It would be interesting to see if in the future the voltage potential from these charges could be harnessed for electricity. It is most likely very impractical, considering especially the difference between static electricity and current electricity, but would still be cool to see.
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Destin
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: thesdx

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:44 pm

I love thunderstorms too, but I've really come to acknowledge their potential for danger lately. I did a lot of driving on tour with a band this summer, and had a few near-catastrophes with severe weather. In Kentucky, we were on stage when a storm moved in and 60mph wind gusts were knocking down the stage set. We hit the road after a funnel cloud was spotted, and barely made it to the interstate in time due to the entire festival being evacuated. Another time, I was driving late at night on a crowded highway when the streetlights lost power, and the rain got so heavy that there was no visibility whatsoever. The road started to flood, and I ended up driving halfway on the sidewalk until I got to higher ground. I seriously thought we were all going to pile up and need to be rescued. After getting much more than my fill of severe weather for one year, I've really enjoyed the quiet last few weeks of summer in the northeast.
Destin L. (thesdx)
My Website — FireAlarmCollector.com
My YouTube Channel
I'm no longer very active on here, but if you wish to contact me, feel free to send me a PM. :wink: