What’s Your Favorite Weather Phenomena?

This is the place to talk about weather, such as services, forecasts, emergencies, the science of meteorology... stuff like that.
ccs46
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: ccs4646

Re: What’s Your Favorite Weather Phenomena?

Post by ccs46 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Sunny Winter days in Florida. :mrgreen:
Chris Sprague - Overseer of Sarcasm

U8oL0
YouTube Username: jjinc24

Post by U8oL0 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:51 pm

I definitely do have an appreciation for the thunderstorm. I used to work on the Summit of Pikes Peak (14,115' of elevation), which is located in the most active area in terms of lightning in Colorado (dark red cloud on this map), so we had thunderstorms pass dangerously close to us on a regular basis. Here are a couple of my favorite shots of storms passing by.

My favorite weather phenomena definitely has to be heavy snow though (but as long as I don't have to go anywhere while it's snowing haha)

ccs46
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: ccs4646

Post by ccs46 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:52 pm

U8oL0 wrote:I definitely do have an appreciation for the thunderstorm. I used to work on the Summit of Pikes Peak (14,115' of elevation), which is located in the most active area in terms of lightning in Colorado (dark red cloud on this map), so we had thunderstorms pass dangerously close to us on a regular basis. Here are a couple of my favorite shots of storms passing by. My favorite weather phenomena definitely has to be heavy snow though (but as long as I don't have to go anywhere while it's snowing haha)
Pffft. :lol: That is nothing. The lighting strikes you got in that 9 year period is the amount of lighting strikes Florida gets in a month! That is why FEMA has coined the term for Florida. Protect yo' self, before you wreck yo' self. 8) After all Florida is the lightning capital of the world with the deaths and injuries. from lightning happening here.
Chris Sprague - Overseer of Sarcasm

U8oL0
YouTube Username: jjinc24

Post by U8oL0 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:13 am

ccs46 wrote:
U8oL0 wrote:I definitely do have an appreciation for the thunderstorm. I used to work on the Summit of Pikes Peak (14,115' of elevation), which is located in the most active area in terms of lightning in Colorado (dark red cloud on this map), so we had thunderstorms pass dangerously close to us on a regular basis. Here are a couple of my favorite shots of storms passing by. My favorite weather phenomena definitely has to be heavy snow though (but as long as I don't have to go anywhere while it's snowing haha)
Pffft. :lol: That is nothing. The lighting strikes you got in that 9 year period is the amount of lighting strikes Florida gets in a month! That is why FEMA has coined the term for Florida. Protect yo' self, before you wreck yo' self. 8) After all Florida is the lightning capital of the world with the deaths and injuries. from lightning happening here.
You may get a lot more lightning strikes, but you're not actually up at the elevation where you're basically in the lightning cloud. :wink:

The Big Green
Wiki Team Member

Post by The Big Green » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 am

ccs46 wrote:That is why FEMA has coined the term for Florida. Protect yo' self, before you wreck yo' self. 8)
I thought it was "When Lightning Roars, Go Indoors!"

Anyway, my favorite weather phenomena is thunder-snow. That is, a thunderstorm while a heavy snowfall is occurring.
Director of Sarcasm

kcin556
YouTube Username: kcin556

Post by kcin556 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Personally I love snow and winter. It just makes everything move at a slower pace and makes the whole area white and clean. Plus the silence when it is snowing is amazing... step outside during some heavy snow and you won't hear a thing. I live in a far northern suburb of Chicago right at the Wisconsin border, so we always get a decent amount of snowfall each year.

When it comes time to clean it up I don't really mind. Snow-blowing is actually sort of fun in my opinion, and my my town is pretty good about getting the streets plowed and de-iced quickly so driving isn't such an issue.

Considering I play hockey, winter ice and snow is kinda my element anyways :) .
Nick - Moderator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube

Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Post by Robert A » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:41 am

I suppose I'm a boring person, but since I'm not all that fond of weird weather (having been raised in the Texas Hill Country and now live in the flatlands of Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain). I just plain love it when there are only a few scattered clouds in the sky, the sun is out, and yet it's only 67 degrees. Unfortunately, that only happens in the morning.
Robert Aslin
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.