What’s Your Favorite Weather Phenomena?

Mine is the thunderstorm. Think, a cloud that can produce electricity 5 times hotter than the sun also produces chunks of frozen water. The gusts of wind and the torrential downpours make the storms quite interesting to me.

1 Like

Sunny Winter days in Florida. :mrgreen:

I definitely do have an appreciation for the thunderstorm. I used to work on the Summit of Pikes Peak (14,115’ of elevation), which is located in the most active area in terms of lightning in Colorado (dark red cloud on this map), so we had thunderstorms pass dangerously close to us on a regular basis. Here are a couple of my favorite shots of storms passing by.

My favorite weather phenomena definitely has to be heavy snow though (but as long as I don’t have to go anywhere while it’s snowing haha)

I really enjoy heat and humidity…and thunderstorms. 8)

My favorite days are the 90+ degree days paired with an afternoon thunderstorm. When I was in Miami earlier this year I felt like it was truly heaven on Earth. lol

1 Like

Yeah, I like blizzards too! I always hope the snow is good for sledding and skiing; because what is a high schooler to do on a day off from school? Not to forget the hot cocoa drinking by the fireplace.
Even though not much happens in autumn where I live, I do like going for hikes. The weather is neither too hot, nor too cold; perfect for both hot and cold cider (non-alcoholic, of course!).

1 Like

Pffft. :lol: That is nothing. The lighting strikes you got in that 9 year period is the amount of lighting strikes Florida gets in a month! That is why FEMA has coined the term for Florida. Protect yo’ self, before you wreck yo’ self. 8) After all Florida is the lightning capital of the world with the deaths and injuries. from lightning happening here.

You may get a lot more lightning strikes, but you’re not actually up at the elevation where you’re basically in the lightning cloud. :wink:

I thought it was “When Lightning Roars, Go Indoors!”

Anyway, my favorite weather phenomena is thunder-snow. That is, a thunderstorm while a heavy snowfall is occurring.

1 Like

I almost forgot about thundersnow! I’d really like to experience it first hand instead of from The Weather Channel.

1 Like

Thundersnow is cool, probably the only cool thing about snow IMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to like snow, but now that I have to drive in it, clean it up, etc. I really hate it with a passion. Winter is just miserable to me, especially the last 2 we’ve had. Fingers crossed for a mild or even “normal” winter this year.

1 Like

I also want a “normal” winter, or at least a White Christmas. Where I live, a White Christmas is as common as a cuss-free YouTube comments page.

2 Likes

We don’t really have good odds for a white Christmas out this way either…and I’m okay with that! Last December was nice as far as I’m concerned. It was warm and kind of foggy/rainy in the days leading up to Christmas, and the holiday itself was sunny and 60 degrees.

1 Like

Personally I love snow and winter. It just makes everything move at a slower pace and makes the whole area white and clean. Plus the silence when it is snowing is amazing… step outside during some heavy snow and you won’t hear a thing. I live in a far northern suburb of Chicago right at the Wisconsin border, so we always get a decent amount of snowfall each year.

When it comes time to clean it up I don’t really mind. Snow-blowing is actually sort of fun in my opinion, and my my town is pretty good about getting the streets plowed and de-iced quickly so driving isn’t such an issue.

Considering I play hockey, winter ice and snow is kinda my element anyways :slight_smile: .

I remember throwing snow on the road when I was about five to stop the school bus and close school. It melted given that it was salted and paved the summer before, not to mention how small my hands were when I was that young.

1 Like

I suppose I’m a boring person, but since I’m not all that fond of weird weather (having been raised in the Texas Hill Country and now live in the flatlands of Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain). I just plain love it when there are only a few scattered clouds in the sky, the sun is out, and yet it’s only 67 degrees. Unfortunately, that only happens in the morning.

Um, what does this have to do with the weather?

Exactly my reaction.

1 Like

It says fire. Fire is a weather phenomena.

“Fire is a weather phenomena”

Weather can be a factor in starting fires, like the dry weather causes wood to dry out and become more flammable, or the wind causes a small fire to grow, but fire doesn’t just shoot from the clouds! :lol: