IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

This is where users can post any videos, recordings, or photos they have made that is related to fire alarms,
Forum rules
You are only allowed to post YOUR videos here. Please refrain from posting others videos.
electronicwiz101
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:39 am

IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby electronicwiz101 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:50 pm


Fun fact: the contact in the switch in the pull is toxic!
My signature is too long to post here, so I made a pastebin for it: http://bit.ly/51GNATUR3

User avatar
Simplex 2903-9101
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:09 am
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

Re: IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby Simplex 2903-9101 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 am

Cool! That chevron is in really good condition.

User avatar
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:35 am
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Contact:

Re: IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby Simplex 4051 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Nice video that you posted! The setup is so cool!
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.

[Isaaaakkk]
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm
YouTube Username: Isik A.
Contact:

Re: IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby [Isaaaakkk] » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 pm

electronicwiz101 wrote:Fun fact: the contact in the switch in the pull is toxic!


what do you mean by "toxic"
Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?
Because the "P" is silent.

Potatoes are brown.

Don't trust an atom. They make everything up.

User avatar
kcin556
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 pm
YouTube Username: kcin556
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby kcin556 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 pm

[Isaaaakkk] wrote:
electronicwiz101 wrote:Fun fact: the contact in the switch in the pull is toxic!


what do you mean by "toxic"


This pull station uses a mercury-bulb switch, the main component of which (mercury, a heavy metal) is a neurotoxin. Extended contact (either by ingestion, inhalation, or simply absorption by repeatedly touching it) may result in impacts on the central nervous system in humans, leading to impairments in both cognition and coordination of muscles.

You may have heard that you should only eat tuna twice a week. This is due to the mercury concentrations within tuna meat, as a result of biomagification through contamination of our oceans. This obviously has nothing to do with the pull station, I just think that's an example of the toxin in real life that you may be familiar with.
Nick - Moderator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 Alarm Website - kcin556 on YouTube - Fire Alarm Sales

[Isaaaakkk]
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm
YouTube Username: Isik A.
Contact:

Re: IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby [Isaaaakkk] » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 pm

kcin556 wrote:
[Isaaaakkk] wrote:
electronicwiz101 wrote:Fun fact: the contact in the switch in the pull is toxic!


what do you mean by "toxic"


This pull station uses a mercury-bulb switch, the main component of which (mercury, a heavy metal) is a neurotoxin. Extended contact (either by ingestion, inhalation, or simply absorption by repeatedly touching it) may result in impacts on the central nervous system in humans, leading to impairments in both cognition and coordination of muscles.

You may have heard that you should only eat tuna twice a week. This is due to the mercury concentrations within tuna meat, as a result of biomagification through contamination of our oceans. This obviously has nothing to do with the pull station, I just think that's an example of the toxin in real life that you may be familiar with.


Damn.... whats the purpose of having this type of switch?
Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?
Because the "P" is silent.

Potatoes are brown.

Don't trust an atom. They make everything up.

firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 pm
YouTube Username: firefreak57
Location: Ohio

Re: IBM 4251-1 and Simplex Bell

Postby firefreak57 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 am

[Isaaaakkk] wrote:
kcin556 wrote:
[Isaaaakkk] wrote:
what do you mean by "toxic"


This pull station uses a mercury-bulb switch, the main component of which (mercury, a heavy metal) is a neurotoxin. Extended contact (either by ingestion, inhalation, or simply absorption by repeatedly touching it) may result in impacts on the central nervous system in humans, leading to impairments in both cognition and coordination of muscles.

You may have heard that you should only eat tuna twice a week. This is due to the mercury concentrations within tuna meat, as a result of biomagification through contamination of our oceans. This obviously has nothing to do with the pull station, I just think that's an example of the toxin in real life that you may be familiar with.


Damn.... whats the purpose of having this type of switch?


That's before Electric switches came about; so this was the normal kind before those came about and they were used quite commonly. They are not allowed today due to toxicity and contamination reasons.
The official account of firefreak57!
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel


Return to “User Created Fire Alarm Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests