Mother of all General Signalling setups.

In case anybody has interest in alarm devices used in general signaling, in addition to fire alarm service, this should interest you. This is a large general signaling setup that was installed in the building my dad works in, which is 90-60 years old, depending which addition to the original building you are in. This setup was installed in 1959, and monitored everything from sprinkler pressure to air pressure, to water pumps for the air chiller, to the gas system for the engine testing cells. You get the idea. This setup was disconnected from service in 2012 (note the air pressure gauge reading 0 psi), and replaced with a single PLC panel, which is monitored by what remains of the security system (as was the original, notice the Honeywell security panel). With permission and help from the building maintenance manager (my dad :stuck_out_tongue: ) we were able to remove* and save almost everything seen in this picture, minus the Exit sign (still in use) and the upper three relay boxes (too high to reach). The new PLC is sort of a low-cost band-aid, instead of updating the original, as the building will most likely be demolished in the near future.
[attachment=0]097.JPG[/attachment]
The four Faraday 5410 horns monitored Sprinkler Pressure, Oil Pressure, recirculating water pressure, and harbor pump pressure.
The blue box at the right, a newer addition, monitored the harbor pumps, the horn and light signaled pump failure, the rotating light signaled City Water make-up.
The Faraday 7410, a newer addition as well, and light at the top, as well as the gauges, monitored Air Pressure.
The Faraday 2000 bell had been disconnected for many years and its use is unknown, labeled “Shed Alarm.”
The Honeywell panel contained zone extenders for the security system (a 1995 DMP security Command System, now mostly defunct and several components removed* by my dad and saved).
The various relays monitored their circuits and activated the respective horns.

I hope you guys find this setup interesting!

*Please note that this system was previously disconnected by an electrical contractor, and was removed with complete permission and all reasonable safety precautions were taken to prevent injury or endangerment to other building occupants.

There weren’t any multiples of anything was there? Those colored horns are awesome!

No duplicates of the horns from this setup, I do have several of the relay boxes but I doubt you would be interested in those. I do have many duplicates of other devices from this building, but other than a few, I don’t really want to get rid of those because of their history.

Were the colored horns painted by someone or factory painted?

They were spray painted at some point. All were originally red, and the person who painted them did a really good job. The labels were protected and are unharmed.

Here’s a closer picture of the colored horns for Firefly. Top right and bottom left horn are from a different part of the building.

Those look cool, but not quite as interesting as they would be if they came manufactured like that.

I’ve got an observation, on the one panel you have four horns and four lights. I would assume the horn activates in conjunction with the light below it, and each pair is electrically separate from the others. Seems like overkill to me. You could have one horn, tripped via 4 relays for each condition. You would still need the separate lights so you would know why the alarm is going off. But four horns seems silly! Unless you put your ear right up to it, color coded or not, it isn’t going to matter which horn is going off! Just an observation. Interesting setup however!

Maybe it’s some fail-safe type of setup, or it is warranted by local codes!

I assume it was for when multiple conditions occurred, a horn would sound a new alarm to warn of an issue regardless of if the other horns were silenced by the switch under the lights. The single horn design would work still annunciator new alarms via another light coming on, but it could be ignored. Another horn sounding would be very obvious and require action to be taken to shut it off.

How much of it did you get?

Here’s a picture of everything salvaged from this setup.

What type of light is that Amber rotating beacon? I have a red federal signal vitalite series b1.

Its a Federal Signal Vitalite 121S B1

Its a Federal Signal Vitalite 121S B1
[/quote]

Cool! I just read the full model number, mine is a B1 Model 121S Too! But mine has a red top on it. I have no idea what it was originally used for, but it was the first alarm type device i ever got (and have). It had the wires ripped almost all the way out, so he did some sort of job and added a wall plug to it and it works fine! Heres a video of it in action, and my first ever youtube video i think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzm4_r7JclU&list=UUCwnu50u9k6COb8nFsJxgHg
It is also seen in almost all of my homemade system test videos. I have since moved and have not put back up that system.