Pump House/Harbor Water Pump Alarm Panel

Here’s a test of a Harbor Pump Alarm Panel that I recently made operational again. This monitored the harbor pumps and city water feeds to an industrial plant built right on Waukegan Harbor. During normal operations, the pumps in the pump house would draw water from the harbor into the non-potable recirculating water system. If the pumps were to fail (which they did quite frequently as the pumps aged past 50 years), a valve would automatically open and allow City Water to pressurize the system.

This alarm unit was installed in 1995. When the pumps would fail, the Federal 350 horn would sound and the incandescent light would flash. After the valve opened and city water flowed into the system, the Federal 121S rotating beacon marked “City Water Make Up” would operate. The pumps becoming operational again would automatically silence the horn, but the incandescent bulb and “City Water Make Up” light would remain lit until they were reset from the PLC inside the pump house. The horn could also be silenced via a toggle switch, which I demonstrate in the video.

The relay on the interior of the case allows the test button to override both dry contact connections and activate both the Harbor Pump alarm circuit and the City Water Make Up circuit.

Hope you guys enjoyed! Any questions about this or the harbor pump system it was once connected to please ask!

The flasher unit for the red light below the horn has the same pulse pattern as the AV32 light plate. I wonder if they were manufactured by the same company.

It’s a normal light socket with a “button flasher” stuck between the socket and the bulb. I believe the flashers were manufactured by Eagle Electric.