Best Lock Model B emergency Exit Locks

Just published this video on YouTube, detailing some of the Best Lock Model B emergency exit locks that were rescued from a manufacturing plant several years back. It’s a bit lengthy, but I hope you guys will enjoy!

[quote] This video details the operation of several vintage Best Lock Model B emergency exit locks. These were manufactured by Alcor for Best Lock Corporation, utilizing Best's interchangeable core locks. In total I have 12 complete units, 2 incomplete units, and a boatload of spare parts and glass.

All the rest of the information is in the video. Enjoy!
[/quote]

Nice, i’ve never seen these before. Earliest versions of local alarms for emergency doors I guess.

These are pretty cool, especially the wind up bell version (no batteries needed!).

I would assume so, you hit that button, and the door opens, with the addition of the alarm sounding. Similar to today’s panic bar version, but not as effective, there’s that small lever on these that you would have to push in order to open the door.

I’ve gotta agree with you, these are nowhere near as ‘safe’ as modern emergency door locks. They are really difficult to activate, and you run a pretty high risk of getting fragments of shattered glass in your hand.

In addition, while the modern unit is all-in-one (crash bar+local alarm unit), these were exclusively for the lock component of the door. Several of these units were actually installed in conjunction with a crash bar, and used as basically as a dead-bolt lock.

That horn sounds more 80’s electronic beep then a electromechanical horn! :lol:
(When you try and take it apart it starts sounding like either a air raid siren, or somebody trying to murder a cat…