Kevtistic's Fire Alarm/Bell Pictures

This topic will consist of fire alarm notification appliances, pull stations, detectors, bells (both fire and misc.), and others in the form of pictures taken by me.

I will begin the topic with the University of Michigan - Flint (Harding Mott University Center). The system consists of modern Simplex and Wheelock devices, with evidence of possible National Time components from the building’s previous system. The building opened in the late 1970’s.

(I’m sorry for many of the pictures being grainy–these were all taken from my smartphone. I will try to work on image quality for future postings.)

This is the original panel/annunciator, likely no longer in service. I don’t know which company made this device.

The current system is a Simplex voice-evacuation system. I don’t know what type of panel is used, but pictured here is a 4606-9101 annunciator with a Simplex manual voice operation device on the left, model unknown.

All the pull stations are 2099- series single-action models. This particular device has its pull handle slightly at an angle; it was already like this when I first saw it. There are metal wall plates (not pictured) throughout the building denoting the original pull stations.

Most of the NAs are Wheelock E50 series speaker/strobes.

There are also E60 series speaker/strobes for the ceilings.

At least one stairwell has a speaker-only version of an E50.

The strobes consist mostly of RSS devices.

Ceiling-mount RSS strobes can be found also.

Most of the detectors are TrueAlarm series models. There are ionization detectors also, but I cannot remember what they were.

A 2099- series pull near an Alarm Lock PG10 exit alarm at this emergency exit.

These were the original NAs when the building first opened. I highly suspect these were National Time devices, because the grilles are the same ones I have seen installed in a couple of schools, and also Dearborn Heights City Hall, all of which have National Time equipment installed. The grilles most likely contained 411 horns, judging by the mounting plates inside each one of these devices I saw. The first picture of these is a wall installation; the second is a ceiling installation.

Allen Terrace (City of Northville) - This apartment community opened in 1978. It is predominantly a Simplex system.

The original Simplex annunciator/panel for this building. I haven’t been able to get an accurate model number for this device (help would be appreciated). The Simplex device to the upper-left is a 4602-9101 annunciator.

At the main entrance is a 4606-9102 annunciator.

An ionization detector above an elevator entrance. Again, I haven’t been able to find what the manufacturer or model is; any help would be appreciated.

Most of the initiating devices in the building are Simplex 2099- series single-action pull stations.

However, a 4251- series pull station from the original system still survives inside a community room.

The current notification devices are Simplex TrueAlert ES series horn/strobes. There are TrueAlert strobes that I saw as well, but I didn’t get an opportunity to take a picture of one.

Outside, there is a weatherproof TrueAlert ES series horn/strobe near the main entrance.

Finally, this is a remnant of the original 1978 system. I don’t know what the original horns were, but most likely were Simplex horns.

A couple of things I would like to note:

There was a gray 4" bell I saw down a hallway corridor, but I didn’t get an opportunity to take a picture.
While looking through the website of Allen Terrace, I came across a photo album with pictures of the common areas, and apparently, there was another system before the current TrueAlert ES devices were installed. The second system had Simplex 4903- series horn/strobes.