Suppression system activates fire alarm at my college

While I was studying, I heard a faint beeping in the distance. When I realized what it was, I grabbed my camera and headed to the new building to check it out. Enjoy!

A server room got too hot, tripping a heat detector connected to the FM-200 system. It took them a while to shut it off, but luckily there was no discharge. It ended up going off again about an hour later, but was quickly silenced.

Typically, FM-200 systems will only trip on smoke, and usually requires two smokes to activate. The heat detectors in the room would likely trip the solenoid on the sprinkler pre-action. A sort of “back up” if the FM-200 can’t suppress the fire.

Haha right after I watched this video and went to bed the fire alarm in my hotel went off and it was of course the default simplex message but the female version and instead of the whoop tone, they did the code 3 tone instead. What a wonderful thing to wake up to at midnight and I didn’t even put my shoes on or record or anything, I just left wearing only my clothes and barefoot. I earned a nice cut on the concrete stairs in the stairwell for my trouble though. Of course there was no fire and we were in and out for about 15 minutes.

firefreak57, was that hotel the Embassy Suites?

Uhhh…yeah. Why? You staying there? Did you take a video?

Nope! I asked because there is a YouTube video of the fire alarms going off in that hotel, and it was EXACTLY what you described. Same message, code 3 tone, everything!
This thread is getting off topic pretty fast though…

Can you send me the link? That would be pretty cool! I googled ‘Denver hotel fire alarm’ and got nothing.

I sent you a PM.

Holy crap that could get annoying fast… Slow whoops and march time exceeders.

It’s meant to be annoying. Want to stop hearing that annoying noise and seeing those flashing strobes? Get outside! …even though many idiots manage to somehow ignore and put up with all types of fire alarms. :x