Simplex 4048-R Fire Alarm Horn | VERY RARE

Hey everyone,

Here’s a quick test of my Simplex 4048-R fire alarm horn. This uses a similar mechanism to the Federal 350/Simplex 4040 series horns, but there are significant differences that make this horn entirely unique from both the 4040 and 4050 series of horns.

I’ll probably post several other videos of this device in this topic, including a general overview of the device.

Enjoy!

REALLY COOL AND RARE FIND!

Didn’t Mike/Firefly have one of these too?

Oh so you’re the one who bought it… I’ve been looking forward to a demonstration of this rare horn. :slight_smile:

Congrats’ for this rare find by the way!

Awesome horn! I love how the grille’s black and brushed silver accents complement the horn’s red body. This combination of colours gives the device a very interesting appearance.

Really cool! Is it supposed to be a weatherproof horn?

That’s exactly what I was thinking as well.

I’m not sure. It seems like there are just as many places for water to get in as on a standard 4040/4050. Plus, the corners of this horn are square - most waterproof backboxes I’ve seen have rounded corners to allow the rubber gasket to maintain a good seal.

Based on several factors in the design, I believe this horn may actually have been designed by Faraday. However, I have no clue where this would fall on the Faraday 5410/Federal Signal 350 timeline. If anything, these were probably a special-order item for a specific architectural/aesthetic purpose - maybe even for one building, perhaps (based or their rarity).

That’s a very interesting hypothesis. I never thought special orders could be so drastic. I thought they were limited to color variations, like a black T-bar (which Firefly_17 has), or brown ET-70WP’s on this roller coaster at a Disney park:

Now we have double the fun! The 12VAC horn is the original shown in the first video, the 120VAC unit is new.

Thosereally do look very cool! Great job on getting the both of them because they re really rare! I had no clue these even existed!