Simplex 4010 Going Crazy!!

I feared this day would come. Oh well nothing I can do but buy a new board.

Oh no what happened?

The Nac’s were randomly turning on and off every second. No Fire Alarm at all. Something is very buggy about this panel. The baud rate is very messed up on this panel too.

That is the strangest thing I ever saw a 4010 do. In all my years I never saw one do that.

I spoke with a Simplex Technician about this and found out I fried the board. I switched the baud rate several times with the panel on and each time I did, the troubles got worse.

I cannot verify of refute that changing the baud rate fries the SFIO. That is because I never changed the baud rate on a 4010. The only reason to change the rate is to make a download from the PC based programmer faster. The baud rate should always be set to 9600 for normal operation. Pages 2-2, 2-4, and 2-8 in the 4010 service manual has the first item to check for card missing troubles is be sure the baud rate is set to 9600. Many of the add on cards only operate at 9600.
Link: http://firealarmresources.com/simplex-4010-service-manual-rev/

You’re supposed to power down the panel before changing the baud rate. I was playing around with the baud rate with the panel on and ever since then random troubles appeared. I set it back to 9600 after I messed with it. Somehow switching the baud rate back and forth disrupted the panel logic and communication flow and that’s probably why the NACS kept turning on and off.