Edwardsfan Bell Tests

This is where I’m going to be posting any videos I make on the job! Here are 2 short ones to start for this week (btw these videos are unlisted for now):

Test of a long 3 story walkup. I was at the panel while my coworker went out and tested devices. The alarm you hear is an Edwards 439-6AWG, and the panel is a Mircom FA-101T. You can also faintly hear the Edwards trouble buzzer that’s in the front staircase. It’s from the old system, I’m not sure what system it was, but you can see the signal circuit and initiating circuit wires are very old.

I’ve been to this building about 4 years ago and actually have pictures of the system. This is a test at another 3 story walkup. 6 bells, 1 in each hallway. I checked the bells on one side while he did the other. The panel was at the bottom of his staircase so he silenced the system. The bells are Edwards 439-10AWGs. The panel is a Mirtone FA-1025T. Also, excuse my heavy breathing lol.

Here’s a longer video for you guys. This is a bell test in a 2 story student residence. Panel is a Mircom FA-1000. The bells are Mirtone 74328 Bells (rebranded Edwards 439s), with 2 Amseco MSB-64V bells (never seen them before in my life), and a 10" Potter bell. There was also a restaurant portion, but it was locked at the time I did the bell test.

Really nice system tests on these buildings that you have so far! They are coming out nice!

Those Edwards bells are sure loud…even the 6” ones are. I’m getting a 439D myself pretty soon hopefully. It’s too bad the US doesn’t have modern systems with bells. I mean bells and mechanical horns alike have been phased out here. I understand they’re expensive to make and all but something about both of them really motivates one to leave the building.

Good stuff! Reminds me of the old twoplyboy videos.
You might want to try recording in landscape rather than portrait mode so that you can fit more into the frame at once. Other than that keep up the good work! Not every building likes being recorded so it’s great to see ‘in the wild’ system tests once in awhile.

It’s funny, they are but at the same time they aren’t, I just did an annual on a 6500 and one of the tenants there said they couldn’t hear the bells at all. We even replaced some systems that had bells with horns (Potter horns, and oh boy are those things ever ear shattering loud).

Thank you for your feedback everyone! Here are some more I did:

-These 2 are from the same building. This is a test of a Mircom FA-1000 system in a 15 story apartment building. Pulls are mainly Edwards 275-C111s, bells are Edwards 439-10AWCs (besides the 1 10" Potter bell). Both bell tests were stopped because my partner had to leave a couple times and I was testing the bells while he was gone.

Doing a subsequent test on an Edwards 6500 panel. Bells are all Edwards 439-10AWCs, and the pulls are - you guessed it - 270-SPOs. I was doing units earlier with a homemade ‘resetter’ my boss put together, which ended up getting stuck in alarm when I was on the 8th floor. This panel will most likely see its fate in the next year or two anyways.

Doing a bell test and a subsequent on a Mircom FA-1000 panel, which is in a 12 story apartment building. I do apologize for seeing the ground most of the time; the buildings parking garage is shared with this building and 2 others, all with different signals and panels, and there were a fair bit of people in the garage at times. I got to admit though, mini horns in code 3 aren’t really all that bad.

-A Bell test in a childrens play place. Alarms are Spectralert horns in code 3.

-A bell test in a 3 story walkup/commercial building downtown. The bells are Mirtone 10" bells with Edwards 439-10AWCs (added on later).

1 Like

Bell test in a 7 story walkup. The pull station is a Mirtone 73201, and the horns are Spectralert HRAs, all controlled by a Simplex 4007 ES.

Here’s an interesting one. This is a subsequent test on a EST Quickstart in a 5 story retirement residence. The alarms are EST G1R-Ps, not the classic Genesis tone but the steady tone. This building also has pull stations in the first floor units (which baffled me, never seen anything like it before).

Quick bell test in an 8 story apartment building. The bell is a Mircom BL-6.

Subsequent test in a 7 story apartment building. Panel is a Mircom FX-2000, alarms are Mircom BL-10s.

1 Like

Really great work that you have posted to YouTube so far! I can’t wait to see more from you in the future!

It’s been a while (been so busy), But have a fair bit of more bell tests!

[YouTube]dlfCZ3aLNlY[/YouTube]
-Bell test in a small community center.
Pulls: 270-SPOs
Alarms: Edwards Genesis
Panel: Vigilant VS2

[YouTube]WETkl588DGc[/YouTube]
-Bell test in a small reception hall.
Alarms: Edwards Genesis
Panel: EST Fireshield

[YouTube]ZjYJkruQEEM[/YouTube]
-Bell test in a small library.
Pulls: Notifier MPS-950s
Alarms: Wheelock BL-6s
Panel; EST Fireshield

[YouTube]wCy7f4uuQp8[/YouTube]
-Bell test in an old youth home.
Alarms: Edwards Durabels

[YouTube]lpebKei6Q4I[/YouTube]
-Bell test in another youth home.
Alarms: Edwards 360s & 1 Edwards 885-D

[YouTube]_UQfUW8j8X8[/YouTube]
Pulls: Edwards 270-SPOs
Alarms: Edwards 343Ds & 1 Edwards 439D

[YouTube]VJDLVEHUujQ[/YouTube]
-Bell test in a 4 story apartment building.
Alarms: Edwards 343Ds
Panel: Mircom FA-1000

[quote=EdwardsFan post_id=80657 time=1527822340 user_id=85]

[/quote]

Awesome videos! This is the first time I’ve heard a first-generation (360-series) DC Adaptahorn and I love how it sounds. I’ve seen a few AC 360-series horns, but DC models, such as the ones featured in this video, appear to be quite uncommon.

Just a question: what color were the 360s featured in the video? Were they gray or red?

[quote="El Chupacabra" post_id=80669 time=1527895695 user_id=2572] [quote=EdwardsFan post_id=80657 time=1527822340 user_id=85]

[/quote]

Awesome videos! This is the first time I’ve heard a first-generation (360-series) DC Adaptahorn and I love how it sounds. I’ve seen a few AC 360-series horns, but DC models, such as the ones featured in this video, appear to be quite uncommon.

[/quote]

Thank you! Yeah, wish I could have gotten a shot of it, but they did sound pretty cool!

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80748 time=1528415588 user_id=18]

Just a question: what color were the 360s featured in the video? Were they gray or red?

[/quote]

They were red in colour, flush mounted in the wall.

[YouTube]QWqXPDHGmG0[/YouTube]
Longer test, this is a bell test in a half abandoned hotel. Only 6 floors are used, the other 4 are not used at all.
Pulls: Mircom MS-401s
Alarms: Mircom Select a Horn
Panel: Mircom FX-2000

[YouTube]Oj57jXDDHUQ[/YouTube]
Here is a bell test on a 11 story building.
Pulls: Mircom MS-401
Alarms: Simplex 4901-? (10" bell)
Panel: Simplex 4100U

[YouTube]LlOhju-nQMo[/YouTube]
Bell test in a 9 story apartment building. Panel did fail, as you can see in the video it only silenced one bell circuit and not the other.
Pulls: Notifier FM-500?
Bells: Edwards 439ds/ Durabels
Panel: Notifier 500

[YouTube]iVzNS8EeR9Y[/YouTube]
Bell test in a 7 story building.
Pulls: Edwards 270-SPO (Potter pull in vid)
Alarms: Edwards Integrity Horns
Panel: Mircom FA-1000

[YouTube]XJtltKHBHdI[/YouTube]
Bell test in a community center/housing.
Pulls: Mixture of Potter and Mirtone 73201s
Alarms: Mirtone 74306 bells
Panel: Mirtone 7800

If you could get more Adaptahorn videos I would really like it since I do find that they are nice and like to listen to them.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=81079 time=1531973356 user_id=18]

If you could get more Adaptahorn videos I would really like it since I do find that they are nice and like to listen to them.

[/quote]

Hopefully I can deliver! I’m not sure if we service any more buildings with adaptahorns, but I haven’t even been to half of them yet so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Well if you can’t, its OK. I realize that Adaptahorns are going out of style.

I just thought because of twoplyboy there would be a bit more. Since Edwards seems to be to Canada what Simplex is to the US, I’m sure most older systems are being replaced.

Hello! Haven’t done a ton of annuals recently, been working on a piping job for a mag lock system. But here are a few vids:

[YouTube]fHKOCBgOTjg[/YouTube]
-Just posted this in another topic, this is a monthly test of a Mircom FX-2000 speaker system. Speakers are set to the wrong coding (should be temporal).

[YouTube]ec_HI8voChk[/YouTube]
-Battery load test & subsequent on a Mircom FX-2000 (on second thought may be a Potter panel). Bells are Edwards 439-10AWCs, pulls are Edwards 275-C111s.

[YouTube]lK20JiclUiA[/YouTube]
-Testing a Standard 200179 in an annual of an apartment building. This is one of the few buildings we have that still use these pulls.

Cool videos! You don’t have to apologize for not posting videos in a while as we all know that you are busy! But the videos you did upload are really nice!

Some more videos!

[YouTube]fWUcRkP6ZyI[/YouTube]
-Doing a bell test in a 3 story walk up. They had a water leak in a room we had our booster panel in, so we were making sure all the horns worked.

[YouTube]yzuVVerdTmE[/YouTube]
-Just doing an annual on a Mircom FX-2000, I was at the panel ringing the horns while my partner was checking out units.

[YouTube]iEWbTU8aAkg[/YouTube]
-Follow up to the previous video, testing the horns in the parking garage. Idk why but the video does freeze near the end, but there is still audio.

[YouTube]OzcpsSKUw88[/YouTube]
-We just installed a EST Fireshield Plus, and I was doing a load test and making sure the horns were coded right.

[YouTube]IsV3EMh1O0k[/YouTube]
-I’ve posted this system before in my video ‘bell test #6’, this is me testing out the new system. The old system was an Edwards 6500, which was replaced with a Kidde VS4.

[YouTube]98QXqUyzq-Y[/YouTube]
-I’ve also made a video of this system before. This is a monthly test at one of my regular monthly buildings.

[YouTube]i8KfXYpppEY[/YouTube]
-Doing an annual bell test on a Mirtone 8000 panel.

[YouTube]_9HduohhYdc[/YouTube]
-& this is a video of said Mirtone 8000 panel.