Would you rather hear fingernails scratching a chalkboard or a loud fire alarm going off suddenly?

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Would you rather hear fingernails scratching a chalkboard or a loud fire alarm going off suddenly?

Postby Housedays » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Simplex 2903-9101
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

Re: Would you rather hear fingernails scratching a chalkboard or a loud fire alarm going off suddenly?

Postby Simplex 2903-9101 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Easy. A loud fire alarm. It's not just about volume - it's the tone, too. I'd take a -9846, 10-inch bell, or an old IBM horn over nails on a chalkboard any day. After all, we're "The Fire Panel" not "The Nails on the Chalk Board".

mjb1124
New Participant
New Participant

Re: Would you rather hear fingernails scratching a chalkboard or a loud fire alarm going off suddenly?

Postby mjb1124 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:23 am

Would probably depend on the alarms, my proximity to them, and the acoustics of the area. I'd go with the nails on the chalkboard over revisiting my early elementary school nightmare of Federal 30A's in the gym. But an electronic or DC mechanical horn would probably be preferable over the fingernails, unless maybe I was standing right in front of the alarm.

LOL at "The Nails on the Chalk Board". I'd be shocked if there actually was such a thing, but then again our interest is unusual enough as it is.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Postby Simplex 4051 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 am

It depends if I didn't know which one of them were coming. Its always the anticipation that kills me and I couldn't deal with that and waiting for it when you know its going to happen just kills me. Probably nails on a chalkboard for both. Mostly because I never heard nails on a chalkboard before. LOL
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.

Alexis_T
New Participant
New Participant

Postby Alexis_T » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 am

TO be honest, I'd choose an alarm going off suddenly rather than fingers scratching a chalkboard.

(Sorry about eventuals typos, am writing this from my phone)
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: 2 (Ademco 623-12, older Legrand MCP)

[Isaaaakkk]
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Isik A.

Postby [Isaaaakkk] » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Alexis_T wrote:TO be honest, I'd choose an alarm going off suddenly rather than fingers scratching a chalkboard.

(Sorry about eventuals typos, am writing this from my phone)

Agreed, since alarms dont send those HORRIBLe shivers down your spine as a chalkboard does.
Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?
Because the "P" is silent.

Potatoes are brown.

Don't trust an atom. They make everything up.

Return to “Fire Alarm General Discussion”