System Sensor L-Series

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

System Sensor L-Series

Postby Housedays » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 am

Have you seen it in your area? System Sensor L-Series NAs are starting to pop up in newly opened stores in my area.

Comments2010
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Comments2010

Re: System Sensor L-Series

Postby Comments2010 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 am

I worked on a project at a joined elementary school and middle school in my district. We installed a Notifier voice evac system to replace the old simplex system. They had semi-flush plates with a square box extender and old simplex horns, then an inch of conduit went up or down or to the side into another box with old edwards (I think) "Fire" lights. Some spots had Wheelock AS's. We installed the new notifier system with L-series speaker strobes on the ceiling. Then we took all the old horns down, and slapped covers on the original box in the wall.
I use electrical boxes as collection shelves (literally).
TI-8x Programmer, Concord 4 Programmer, Electrician in Training, Fire Alarm Hobbyist (with system)

DownsLife+Safety
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Postby DownsLife+Safety » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm

All of my school's trailers have the L-Series horn strobes.
Other than that, I haven't. There hasn't been many building renovations in my area though, so I'll have to see about the newer buildings that pop up in my town.
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to live safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!

idontwannaknow
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby idontwannaknow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Surprisingly, a lot of the new buildings (renovations too) around my area are either Wheelock Exceeders or Gentex Commander 4s. Only one store I've been to that had L alarms was a Target, which replaced SpectrAlert Classics (also ceiling mount).

If Advances replaced most MultiAlert alarms, then L-series will replace SpectrAlert alarms
school bad

[Isaaaakkk]
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Isik A.

Postby [Isaaaakkk] » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Haven't seen them in an installation. but i have 3 of them and take back my past remark of them being ugly. They look pretty nice actually. At least the white ones.
Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?
Because the "P" is silent.

Potatoes are brown.

Don't trust an atom. They make everything up.

cl94
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby cl94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:12 pm

I've seen them in a few new convenience stores in the northeast, as well as a new McDonald's. Basically, the places that used to install Advances.

EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms

Postby EpicFireAlarms » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:21 pm

I have yet to see a single L-series device... around here Exceders and Siemens Z-series devices are used literally in almost 100% of the new installations, or Siemens E-series devices for the occasional voice-evac system.

cerbpyro
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby cerbpyro » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:36 pm

I've seen the ceiling-mount PC2RL and SCRL models recently in a local church building. They have a Simplex 4002 (I think) which is still in service along with a 4600-Series annunciator, 4251-20 pulls and whiffle ball smokes. The PC2RLs went in to replace the inadequate older signals, which were sparsely placed Simplex 2901-9833 horns. There were no visual signals except one Federal 450D+VALS that replaced a -9833. I hate to see the old horns go, but the building is large enough (and the coverage was sparse enough) that if one horn died, it would seriously detriment the horn coverage.
"The Fire department loves it when I get to the plug before they can get here"---Conan O'Brien

Fire Alarm Fan
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Postby Fire Alarm Fan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 pm

A local hotel has 2 that replaced TrueAlerts. They’re on the 3rd floor.
Newest FA Device: Gamewell M69 pulls
Coming Soon:
Newest Smoke: BRK 79R

mjb1124
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Postby mjb1124 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

I found them in a newly remodeled convenience store, and in a small shopping center that's nearly finished being built near me.

Also, I wish I had more Wheelocks than System Sensors where I lived. Around here, seemingly 90% of conventional systems from the last 15 years that aren't Simplex or EST have SS horns.

RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RJARRRPCGP

Postby RJARRRPCGP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 am

Fire Alarm Fan wrote:A local hotel has 2 that replaced TrueAlerts. They’re on the 3rd floor.

Sounds like the hotel management folks may be thinking about dumping Simplex!

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Postby Simplex 4051 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 am

Well Simplex CAN be rather expensive when it comes to servicing a system and having to replace horns that break down so it could be a possibility. Why else would people see Notifier everywhere? :lol:
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.

EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms

Postby EpicFireAlarms » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 am

Simplex 4051 wrote:Well Simplex CAN be rather expensive when it comes to servicing a system and having to replace horns that break down so it could be a possibility. Why else would people see Notifier everywhere? :lol:

Exactly what happened in my area... used to be full of Simplex systems, got too expensive, cheaper companies (like Honeywell or Siemens) were chosen. The last Simplex system that I know of in my area was installed in 2014, and the local Simplex branch closed in 2015 or 2016.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Postby Simplex 4051 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:27 pm

The local Simplex branch that is closest to me is actually in Pawtucket but it still seems to be operating so that is good.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.

Return to “Fire Alarm General Discussion”