Make Up a System (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Re: Make Up a System (2.0)

Post by Simplex 4051 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 am

First I will present to you the High School of the Future
In most of the school, the alarms are Faraday 6120 horn/strobes

Located in the student success center is a Faraday 5506 horn/strobe

Several areas, the art studio, the locker rooms and the IT instructional center have Faraday 5640 horns on Space Age Electronics AV32 flashers

Over in the food court, there is a Faraday 5940 horn on a 5415 flasher

The flex center and the driver's education lab both have Wheelock NS horn/strobes

Finally, the multi-purpose room has a Simplex GX-90 horn/strobe
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by Simplex 4051 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:49 am

Now we have West Haven Elementary School with a system like this.
The hallways and most of areas of the school have Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 2903-9101 strobe plates

The dining area has Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes

The media center has a Gentex SHG horn/strobe

The 6th Grade Wing has Siemens U-HNH horn/strobes

The computer lab has the only remnant of the old system before it was upgraded, a Simplex 4040 horn on a 4050-80 light plate that was supposed to be disconnected and removed since it was determined the computer lab didn't need a horn in it but it wasn't

The nurse's office has a Classic SpectrAlert
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.

Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by Gentex SPK4 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Schooner High School was built in 1982 and renovated/expanded in 2013.

Panel
Simplex 4100ES INFOALARM w/ evac, replacing a Simplex 2001.
Simplex 4606 Annunciator in Main Office

Initiating Devices
Pull Stations are Simplex 4099-9003 (these are ONLY located next to exterior exits, next to the panel, and one in the main office). All pulls are underneath STI Stopper II covers. Smokes are Simplex TrueAlarms, and there are a few Simplex heat detectors present as well. AHUs have Simplex Duct Detectors.
There are System Sensor i3 smokes for elevator recall.

In addition to this, the school has the Guardian Shooter Detection system with detectors throughout the building. There are also STI Stopper stations in classrooms behind Stopper II covers.

The original system had 4521-20 and 2099 pulls, along with a mix of Pyrotector, Simplex, and ESL smokes.

Notification Appliances
The main signals here are Simplex 4906-9251 speaker/strobes throughout the building. Restrooms have Simplex 49VO-WRF(-BA) strobes. Outside and in the locker room there are Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobes. Classrooms and assembly areas have Wheelock RSS strobes with Amber Lenses as a part of the MNS system.

The original system had flush mounted 2901-9806 horns, with restrooms having Wheelock RSS strobes installed later on. A few 2901-9806s were replaced with Gentex SHGs in the 1990s.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The PA system is a Bogen Quantum MultiCom IP, replacing an old Dukane system. The master clock panel is a Midwest Time Controls MTC-600, replacing a Simplex 2350.

The 1982 building has Lowell speakers in the hallways and library. Classrooms have ceiling mounted Quam speakers with Bogen call-switches. The cafeteria and auditorium have wall-mounted Quam speakers. The gym has Bogen megaphone speakers. Outside, there are Bogen weatherproof speakers. As for clocks, the hallways have MTC digital clocks. The library, cafeteria, auditorium, and gym have Simplex analog clocks. Classrooms have MTC analog clocks.

The 2013 addition has Quam wall-speakers in the hallways, and Quam clock/speaker combos and Bogen call-switches in the classrooms. Outside, there are Bogen weatherproof speakers. As for clocks, MTC digital clocks are used here.
The bell is a tone over the intercom. The old system had Simplex 4090 4-inch bells in the hallways, and 6 inch bells outside.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by Simplex 4051 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Cascade Middle School is a campus that consists of 4 buildings. The 100 building is the library and main office building, the 200 building is the gymnasium and cafeteria building, the 300 and 400 building are classroom buildings and 500 building is the unified arts building. These are the systems for each of them.
All buildings that have hallways (100 to 400 buildings) and are not noted that need alarms have Simplex 2901-9838 horns on 4904-9105 strobe plates.

Located in the band classroom, there is a Simplex 2901-9833 horn on a 2901-9101 strobe plate.

One room, the technology lab has a Simplex 4051 on a 4050-80 flasher.

Over in the photography lab, there is a Simplex 4041 horn on a Faraday 5415 flasher.

The auxiliary gymnasium has Wheelock MT horn/strobes.

Finally the foods classroom has a Gentex GX-90.

RSSAlarms
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: RSS alarms

Post by RSSAlarms » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:51 pm

North free water shopping center, consisting of 1 big building and 2 small buildings. The big building was built in 1992 with a simplex 4100 installed. The main pulls are 2099-9754 t bars and simplex 2901-9845’s on 4903-9104 strobe plates. Various shops/small stores over the years have changed and some of the notification appliances were replaced with various notification appliances such as truealerts and system sensor na’s. A big renovation took place in 2010-2011. The Whole Foods in the shopping center replaced all the old simplex horns with simplex 4906-9127 horn strobes and also the panel was replaced with a 4100es. All the notification appliances in that building, including the replacement devices were all replaced with smartsync 4906 horn strobes. The pulls were replaced also.

The 2 small buildings were built in 2004-2005 and have separate systems, the 1st one has a notifier afp-400 with NBG-12lx pulls and spectralert classic horn strobes. The second building has a fire lite ms-5ud and have spectralert classic horn strobes.
Just a random member of the forum

Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by Gentex SPK4 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Waldo Elementary School was built in 1913 as a small, one building elementary school. It was expanded to include a cafeteria, auditorium, and media center in 1950. The school was renovated in 2011.

Panel
EST iO64, replacing the old Autocall system.
EST ANS100 for the cafeteria and auditorium.

Initiating Devices
The pulls are EST SIGA 278 series. Smokes are EST SIGA-PS series. A few EST SIGA heat detectors are installed as well.

The old system had pull rods, Autocall glass break stations, a few mechanical heat sensors, and a handful of ESL and System Sensor i3 smokes.

Notification Appliances
The main signals are EST G1RF-HDVM horn/strobes. Restrooms and areas not requiring horns used EST G1RF-VM strobes. The cafeteria and auditorium use EST G4RF-S2V1575 speaker/strobes. There is one EST 757-4A-T horn/strobe outside.
All horn/strobes do code-3, the FCVP is configured to do a temporal whoop tone and voice message.

The original system had Autocall 8-Inch single stroke bells, and one Edwards Single Stroke 10 Inch Bell coded to 4-4-4-4.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The PA System is a Rauland Telecenter ICS replacing a vintage Dukane system. The master clock panel is a Lathem LTR 512 replacing a Simplex 2350 that replaced a vintage Edwards model.

For speakers, hallways, the media center, cafeteria, and auditorium use wall-mounted Quam 6VP speakers. Classrooms and offices have ceiling mounted Rauland ACC1400 speakers with classrooms having Rauland ICSSPB1 call switches. Outside, there are Rauland wall speakers. The front office has a Rauland TC6434 phone w/ display. As for clocks, classrooms have a mix of Edwards, Simplex, and Lathem analog clocks, hallways, the media center, cafeteria, and auditorium all use Lathem digital clocks.

The bell is a tone over the intercom. The old bell system had Edwards 4-inch bells inside, a few were replaced with Simplex 4090 series bells. Outside had Edwards 10 inch bells.

WhelenSirenFan
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: WhelenSirenFan

Post by WhelenSirenFan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:53 pm

The Johnston Event Center is a building that was built in 2018.

Fire System: TrueAlert ES devices, all Ceiling Mounted. Pulls are Simplex T-Bars. Panel is a new Simplex Voice Evac system. Smokes and heats are all simplex devices.

Alert System: Simplex Truealert ES Alert Devices. Used for PA and emergencies.

I didn't put much thought into this one and i'm tired. I'll come up with a better one later.
Friend: “Hey, that’s that sound? Is that a Sheep with laringitis?”
Me: “No, it’s just a Wheelock 7002T”

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by Simplex 4051 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm

This high school is inspired by the Auburn Riverside High School
In most of the school, the alarms are Federal Signal 450D horns with VALS strobe plates

Located in the marketing classroom, the drama classroom and the manufacturing lab are Federal 450s (Simplex 4041s) on Simplex 4050-80 light plates

Two rooms, the greenhouse and the weight room have Faraday 5640 horns on Faraday 5415 flashers

Over in the portables, there are all have Simplex 4903-9252 horn/strobes

The computer technology classroom and the main office each have a Amseco BZ-51 horn with an RSD-24L iStrobe screwed into them

Finally, portable 3 (which only has one classroom as opposed to two), the career center and the psychologist's office have
System Sensor MA/SS-24s on 800 Hz continuous

Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by Gentex SPK4 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Pine Park Junior/Senior High was built in 1969 as a senior high school. The school was expanded and renovated into a junior/senior high school in 1993.

Panel
Simplex 4100 replacing the original Faraday system, the trailers are controlled off a Simplex 4006 (which of course is tied into the 4100)
Simplex 4602 annunciator in main high school office
Remote Microphone in Coach’s Office and Auditorium Control Booth

Initiating Devices
Pull stations are all Simplex 4099-9003s, which are all under STI Stopper II covers. Smokes are a mix of older and newer Simplex TrueAlarms. Heat detectors are all Simplex 4098-9733s. The AHUs have Simplex 4098-9685 duct detectors programmed for supervisory. The trailers have Simplex 2099s and TrueAlarm smokes.
The original system had Faraday Chevrons and mechanical heat detectors with ONE ESL smoke added later on.

Notification Appliances
Signals in both wings are Simplex 2901-9846 horns on 4903 strobe plates. These horn/strobes are installed in the hallways, large rooms, offices, and the media center. Some of these have been replaced with Simplex TrueAlerts, and there is also a Wheelock ZNS in the weight room, and a EST pre-Integrity in the home-ec room. Classrooms and restrooms have 4904 strobes, some have Wheelock RSS strobes, and three have 4903-9219 horn/strobes. The band room, choir room, and tech lab have Wheelock HSR horn/strobes. The woodshop has a Gentex GMS. The junior high cafeteria, senior high cafeteria, auditorium, main gym, and aux gym have Simplex 2902 speakers on 4903 strobe plates. Outside, there is a Wheelock MT-WM replacing a flush mounted 2901-9840. The agriscience barn has two Simplex 2901-9846 horns. Signal coding is continuous on the horn/strobes, the 4100 is configured to play a slow whoop tone and voice message on the speaker/strobes.
The original system had Federal Signal 450 horns with dual projectors.
The trailers have Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes set to code-3.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The PA system is a Telecor III replacing a vintage Simplex system. The master clock panel is a Simplex 6400 replacing the original Simplex model.

For speakers, the 1969 wing has Lowell speakers in the hallways and media center. The senior high cafeteria has Tandy Megaphone speakers. The auditorium and gym have wall-mounted Quam VP6 speakers. Classrooms have Simplex clock/speakers combos with Telecor call-in switches. Outside, there are Simplex STR 10 Inch Bells, with one 2901-9333. The 1993 addition has Telecor speakers in the hallways and Lowell clock/speaker combos along with Telecor call-in switches in the classrooms. The 1993 addition has Edwards 6 inch bells outside. As for clocks, there are Simplex analog clocks throughout the school. The trailers have Simplex clock/speaker combos with Bogen call-in switches.
The interior bell is a tone over the intercom. Previously, the school had Simplex STR 6 inch bells inside as well.

Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by Gentex SPK4 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Meridian Middle School was built in 1991, and expanded/renovated in 2012.

Panel
Siemens FireFinder XLS replacing the original FCI FC-73
SigComm DVS-50 for the gym and cafetorium

Initiating Devices
Pull stations are Siemens rebranded RSG RMS series, the ones in the gym are behind Stopper II covers. Smokes are all Siemens FDO421, but a few System Sensor 2400 smokes are still in tact. There are also a few FDT421 heat detectors throughout as well. APC duct detectors are installed on the AHU.

The original system had FCI MS-2 pulls and System Sensor 2400 smokes (a few were replaced with ESL 700 series smokes).

Notification Appliances
The main signals here are Siemens rebranded Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes. These horn/strobes can be found in the hallways, classrooms, the media center, lab rooms, weight room, gym lobby, and offices. Restrooms and areas not needing horn/strobes used Siemens rebranded Wheelock ZRS strobes. The gym and cafetorium have Siemens rebranded Wheelock ET70 speaker/strobes. Outside, there are Wheelock ASWP horn/strobes.
All strobes are sync’d. Horn/strobes do code-3, the DVS-50 is configured to play a slow whoop tone and voice message on the speaker/strobes.

The original system had Gentex SHG horn/strobes throughout, with GXS strobes in the restrooms.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The PA system is a Bogen Quantum Multicom IP, replacing the original Dukane MCS system. The master clock panel is a Lathem LTR-512, replacing the original Dukane system.

For speakers, the 1991 building has Dukane wall-mounted speakers in the hallways and media center. Classrooms have ceiling mounted Dukane speakers with Bogen call-switches. The cafetorium and gym have Atlas Megaphone speakers. Offices have ceiling mounted Bogen speakers. Outside, there are flush mounted Dukane speakers. As for clocks, there are Dukane digital clocks throughout the building. For the 2012 addition, the entire building uses Lathem clock/speaker combos throughout, with classrooms having Bogen call-in switches. Outside, there are weatherproof Bogen speakers.

The bell is a tone over the intercom.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by Simplex 4051 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Alpac Elementary School has a fire alarm system that is set up like this.
Most of the hallways and a few other ares in the school have Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

The music classroom has a Space Age Electronics 2DCD horn on an AV32 flasher

The hallway by the gymnasium was renovated and instead has Simplex 2901-9833 horns on 2903-9101 flashers

A back classroom that has a fire door in front of it has a Siemens U-HNH horn/strobe

The 4 portables all have Wheelock MT-24-LSM horn/strobes

Finally the playshed has Simplex 4903-9236 horn/strobes

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by Simplex 4051 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:48 pm

The next middle school I am going to do is the Olumpic Middle School which has several buildings that are once again separate from each other. There is the 100 building which is the main office building, the 200 building, the 300 building which includes the library, the 400 builidng, the 500 building, the 600 building which is the gymnasium building, the 700 building and the 800 building which is just one giant technology lab. This is the system.
The alarms that are in all of the buildings that have hallways are Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 2903-9101 strobe plates

There is a Gentex SHG in the band room

The library has a Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobe

In the technology lab there is a Wheelock 34T on a Space Age Electronics AV32 flasher

The weight room has an Edwards Genesis horn/strobe

Finally, the resource room has a SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe

Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by Gentex SPK4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:48 am

Gentex SPK4 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:15 pm
Meridian Middle School was built in 1991, and expanded/renovated in 2012.

Panel
Siemens FireFinder XLS replacing the original FCI FC-73
SigComm DVS-50 for the gym and cafetorium

Initiating Devices
Pull stations are Siemens rebranded RSG RMS series, the ones in the gym are behind Stopper II covers. Smokes are all Siemens FDO421, but a few System Sensor 2400 smokes are still in tact. There are also a few FDT421 heat detectors throughout as well. APC duct detectors are installed on the AHU.

The original system had FCI MS-2 pulls and System Sensor 2400 smokes (a few were replaced with ESL 700 series smokes).

Notification Appliances
The main signals here are Siemens rebranded Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes. These horn/strobes can be found in the hallways, classrooms, the media center, lab rooms, weight room, gym lobby, and offices. Restrooms and areas not needing horn/strobes used Siemens rebranded Wheelock ZRS strobes. The gym and cafetorium have Siemens rebranded Wheelock ET70 speaker/strobes. Outside, there are Wheelock ASWP horn/strobes.
All strobes are sync’d. Horn/strobes do code-3, the DVS-50 is configured to play a slow whoop tone and voice message on the speaker/strobes.

The original system had Gentex SHG horn/strobes throughout, with GXS strobes in the restrooms. HG horns were installed on the exterior but these were eventually replaced with the ASWP.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The PA system is a Bogen Quantum Multicom IP, replacing the original Dukane MCS system. The master clock panel is a Lathem LTR-512, replacing the original Dukane system.

For speakers, the 1991 building has Dukane wall-mounted speakers in the hallways and media center. Classrooms have ceiling mounted Dukane speakers with Bogen call-switches. The cafetorium and gym have Atlas Megaphone speakers. Offices have ceiling mounted Bogen speakers. Outside, there are flush mounted Dukane speakers. As for clocks, there are Dukane digital clocks throughout the building. For the 2012 addition, the entire building uses Lathem clock/speaker combos throughout, with classrooms having Bogen call-in switches. Outside, there are weatherproof Bogen speakers.

The bell is a tone over the intercom.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by Simplex 4051 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 pm

This is the alarm system I thought up when I took a look at the West Auburn High School which has a main building and a separate technology lab building.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 2903-9101 flashers

Located in the home and family life classroom is a Simplex 4051 horn on a 4050-80 flasher

Two rooms, the special education resource classroom and the science lab have Gentex GMS horn/strobes

Over in the technology lab, there is a Standard 450 horn behind a Standard 450 light plate

The business education classroom has a SpectrAlert Classic

Finally, the library has a Wheelock Exceeder

Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by Gentex SPK4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Fern Hills Mall was built in 1987, it was recently renovated in 2013.

Main Sections
Panel
Simplex 4100ES, replacing the original 2120

Initiating Devices
The main pull stations are Simplex 4521-20s, most of these are out of public view, but one near the main entrance. A few have been replaced with Simplex 4099-9003 pulls. Smokes are a mix of 2098 series and older and newer TrueAlarms. Stores that were recently opened have 4099 pulls and TrueAlarm smokes.

Notification Appliances
The halls have Simplex Bullhorn speakers with 2904 strobes mounted below them. The food court has 2902-9712 speakers on 2903 strobe plates. A few bullhorn speakers were replaced with Wheelock STH speakers. And one of the 2904s was replaced with a 4904 strobe. There is a Simplex TrueAlert speaker/strobe near the food court restrooms. Individual restrooms have Simplex 2904 strobes.

Individual stores, depending on the year they opened, have either 2902-9712 speakers or 4903 or TrueAlert speaker/strobes. Bath and Body Works has a Gentex Commander 1 horn/strobe, White House Black Market has Wheelock HSR horn/strobe, and Hollister has Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes.

Dillard’s (originally Jordan Marsh, then Gayfers)
Panel
FireLite MS-9200, replacing the original Edwards 8500

Initiating Devices
Pulls are all Fire Lite BG-12LX, smokes are all SD355A series. Original, there were Edwards 270-SPO pulls, and ESL smoke detectors.

Notification Appliances
Signals here are Wheelock AS horn/strobes and RSS strobes. There is one Wheelock ZNS in the salon (replacing a broken Wheelock AS). Originally the signals were Edwards 881D horns.

Belk
Panel
Simplex 4002

Initiating Devices
Pulls here are Simplex 4521-30s, but there is a Edwards 270-SPO on the second floor. Smokes are Simplex 2098 series.

Notification Appliances
This store uses ceiling mounted Simplex 2901-9838 horns, with wall-mounted 4904 strobes. Some 2901-9838s have been replaced with Wheelock NH horns.

Macy’s (formerly Burdines)
Panel
Notifier NFS-320, replacing an FCI FC-72.

Initiating Devices
Pulls are Notifier NBG-12LX pulls, smokes are Notifier FSP series. Originally, they had FCI MS-2 pulls and one ESL smoke.

Notification Appliances
Signals here are Wheelock HSRC horn/strobes and STRC strobes. Originally, the system had Wheelock 7002 horn/strobes and a Wheelock 34-12/24 in a backroom.

Nordstrom
Panel
Simplex 4010

Initiating Devices
4099-9003 pulls and TrueAlarm smokes.

Notification Appliances
This store has ceiling mounted Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes and 4904 strobes.

Dick’s Sporting Goods (originally Sears)
Panel
Edwards EST3X, replacing the original Pyrotronics System 3

Initiating Devices
Pulls here are EST SIGA 278, smokes are EST SIGA-PS, one ESL heat sensor. Originally, the system had TWO Edwards 270-SPO pulls, and one Pyrotronics smoke detector.

Notification Appliances
The store has EST EGCF-S2VMH speaker/strobes (ceiling mounted) throughout, along with a few wall-mounted EST Genesis remote strobes. When this was Sears, they had only THREE Wheelock 34T horns!

JcPenney
Panel
Edwards IRC-3

Initiating Devices
There are three Edwards 270-SPO pulls, smokes here are a mix of System Sensor 2400 and EST SIGA-PS smokes.

Notification Appliances
The signals here are EST 792 series horn/strobes, with three Gentex GOS horn/strobes. Restrooms have Gentex GXS strobes.