Fire, Inclement Weather, Lockdown, and Other Disaster Prevention Drills for the 2018-2019 School Year

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
User avatar
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:35 am
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Contact:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:54 am

Oh yeah then. That makes a lot more sense.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 pm
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms
Location: Minnesota

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't normally post on this topic for things other than fire drills, but of note is that my school has been in containment for two weeks now (a new record! yay! :| ) with no end in sight following two especially gruesome fights the week before Christmas that resulted in hospitalization and arrests. Security has been on edge because of the threat of retaliation, and the administration decided that the best course of action was to just limit student's ability to leave class. It's pretty sucky because even though I did nothing I'm not allowed to leave class for any reason, even to use the restroom. Last I heard this could last a month or more, until the admins figure out what's going on. Unsurprisingly this hasn't been very popular with teachers or students, and really just makes the school day that much more stressful. For the record, if you're caught out of class unaccompanied during a containment you get suspended.

(But don't worry, should you need to use the bathroom or go anywhere during class, be prepared to wait 30 minutes or more for the next available security guard to escort you and babysit you while you do your business)
User avatar
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Jesus your school is rough...
lgbt rights!
User avatar
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:35 am
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Contact:

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:18 pm

I have to say that I have never had to deal with anything at all like that.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
User avatar
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:49 am
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 pm

I'm curious, how does your administration decide when to do drills? I know my school loves to do them at the last minute and sometimes at very insensible times...
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to live safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!

Also a noob at fire alarm systems. :P
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 pm
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms
Location: Minnesota

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 am

DownsLife+Safety wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 pm
I'm curious, how does your administration decide when to do drills? I know my school loves to do them at the last minute and sometimes at very insensible times...
I think district policy where I live is that the principal meets with the head of security and someone from the fire department in August to set certain dates for drills. Usually the dates aren't fully decided, so it's more setting a week when the drills should take place. Usually it's the same four weeks every year, the first and second week of school, a week in late October, and a week in mid-March. Sometime around the week of a drill, the principal looks at his schedule and decides what exact date and time would work best for him, the other admins, the fire department, etc., and then sends out a mass email to teachers that says something like "Fire Drill Thursday- 2:05 PM". For all fire drills, there's always a make-up date (usually the following day) scheduled should the drill be cancelled for any reason.
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 pm
YouTube Username: firefreak57
Location: Summit County, Ohio

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:36 am

February 14, 2019 @ 8:03 AM EST

We had a boiler burst/leak that caused severe water damage to several classrooms and offices and this was the test that would have determined whether or not any fire alarm system components were damaged by water. While the boiler room flooded as a result of the leak, the FACP and NAC Extender are housed in the Mechanical Room, which is connected to the boiler room via a small passageway. Thankfully, the system was not affected and it functioned like it should.

Standard fire drill procedure. Bath Township Fire Dept. arrived at around 7:50 and the alarm was activated at 8:03. I was near the main entrance, so I got to hold the door open, so I can calculate the evacuation time. Everyone cleared our door within three minutes.

Surprisingly, it only took 2 minutes and 50 seconds for about 150 or more students who have to evacuate using the main entrance doors (due to other exits being blocked due to the construction of the new high school), which is a very fast evacuation time. It was only 25°F out and it feels like 10°, so it was very cold.

I also got to see the fire doors shut at the end of the corridor when everyone had left. Once the new school is built (the fire doors connect the 1995 addition-which is staying and will be added to the new high school-to the existing 1951 portion of the building), these doors will be removed and converted into an exit door to the outside on the first floor and a window will be added on the second floor where the doors used to be.

I did record audio of this drill, which I will upload whenever I have time.
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 pm
YouTube Username: firefreak57
Location: Summit County, Ohio

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm

firefreak57 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:36 am
February 14, 2019 @ 8:03 AM EST

We had a boiler burst/leak that caused severe water damage to several classrooms and offices and this was the test that would have determined whether or not any fire alarm system components were damaged by water. While the boiler room flooded as a result of the leak, the FACP and NAC Extender are housed in the Mechanical Room, which is connected to the boiler room via a small passageway. Thankfully, the system was not affected and it functioned like it should.

Standard fire drill procedure. Bath Township Fire Dept. arrived at around 7:50 and the alarm was activated at 8:03. I was near the main entrance, so I got to hold the door open, so I can calculate the evacuation time. Everyone cleared our door within three minutes.

Surprisingly, it only took 2 minutes and 50 seconds for about 150 or more students who have to evacuate using the main entrance doors (due to other exits being blocked due to the construction of the new high school), which is a very fast evacuation time. It was only 25°F out and it feels like 10°, so it was very cold.

I also got to see the fire doors shut at the end of the corridor when everyone had left. Once the new school is built (the fire doors connect the 1995 addition-which is staying and will be added to the new high school-to the existing 1951 portion of the building), these doors will be removed and converted into an exit door to the outside on the first floor and a window will be added on the second floor where the doors used to be.

I did record audio of this drill, which I will upload whenever I have time.
Since I can’t edit my own posts on this board, I’m just gonna quote myself here. Anyways, I forgot to mention that it seems like the custodial staff sets the alarm off for the fire dept. actually. All the firefighters were in the main entrance hall with our vice principal who is currently acting principal (our principal is currently out until next month because he had neck surgery or something). The panel is in the mechanical room, so they couldn’t have activated it unless they key activated a pull station in that hallway instead of using manual evac or something.
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:35 pm

While riding towards my own school today, the middle school next to a stoplight intersection had their fire alarms going off. I did not hear any of the alarms because I was on the bus and additionally having my airpods (haha) on. The school visably has a -9101/-9838 and a -9105/-9846 beside windows, with some un-identifiable NAs in classrooms (possibly Wheelock ASes?). Unfortunately I missed the -9101 strobe, it was on the back of the school. I also noticed a few amber flashes, which are from ALERT-lettered TrueAlert strobes (i checked pictures of the school).

A fire truck was headed towards the school blaring all out so something must have happened, so this was definitely not some early-day fire drill.
lgbt rights!
User avatar
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:35 am
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Contact:

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:23 pm

You think that they will eventually replace everything with the Amber ALERT-lettered TrueAlerts?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
User avatar
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:23 pm
You think that they will eventually replace everything with the Amber ALERT-lettered TrueAlerts?
No. For one, they are amber coloured (which would be off-code) and are also specifically strobes only. The middle school seems to have had them for a while.
lgbt rights!
User avatar
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 pm
YouTube Username: Mircomfan
Location: London, Ontario
Contact:

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 pm
I'm still waiting for somebody to be in a dorm that has an actual HORN in it. LOL
Lol I know I'm quoting this from a while back but I was going through the topic and reading this reminded me of a job I was recently working at.

We were doing a re-verification of a student residence building. This was built in 2016-17, with 2 17 story towers, that all share a 1st floor common area and parking garages. It's a huge Simplex 4100ES system, and the amount of speakers is crazy. You have about 10 units each floor, and each unit has 3 or 4 bedrooms, which usually equals up to 4 to 5 speakers each unit (1 in each dorm room and 1 in the common area). It may not be a horn but it's definitely loud, as half the students usually tape over their speakers. Plus the building has sprinkler heads in units too, so students keep hanging disco balls and such off of them :roll: . I felt bad for the one sprinkler guy because he had to go once for a service call. Apparently 4 girls thought they would try a seance right in their dorm room. They ended up setting off a sprinkler head because the table caught fire, and my co-worker was there from 11pm to 5am just resetting the sprinkler systems.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
User avatar
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:35 am
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Contact:

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Well I'm sure that the students will learn when they end up breaking and activating a sprinkler.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Post Reply