What tones would you prefer for voice evac?

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Jack Boorsma
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: System Fire 2.0
Instagram: systemfire2.0

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:48 pm

This is something that I feel everyone has their own opinions on to some extent. When it comes to voice evac, there are a number of different tones and messages that are played to warn occupants in a building of an emergency that requires evacuation or other emergency action. What tones/messages do you think gets the message out the best? Do you think that there should be a certain way the messages are announced? Let me know!
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Not really sure about the message but I would like the tone to be like the one that is for the seatbelt reminder in the car. :D
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Honestly I prefer code-3 tone with a pitch of about 900-1000hz and the normal “there has been a report of fire in the building” type message. Just anything that doesnt make the alarms sound like some sort of toy like the tones on the multitone truealertES.
draw
nightfly287
Wiki Team Member
Wiki Team Member

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

One of my favorite voice evacuation messages is this one:

I believe it's a custom message, judging by the click when the message ends. I wish all evac messages sounded like this. It's very concise and the speech is clear.

I don't remember who it was but someone on this board recorded their own voice evacuation message and it sounded really good. Maybe they can work for Simplex and replace their aging default (male) voice evacuation message.
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:49 am

I can't remember what it was called, but there was a system test video (taken in a hospital, I think) that had a really nice hi-lo chime tone that essentially went *hi-lo-hi* pause *hi-lo-hi*. Don't think there was a voice message, but I may be wrong. I'm not sure what the panel was, but the notification devices were Wheelock E-70s.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:15 am

EpicFireAlarms wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:49 am
I can't remember what it was called, but there was a system test video (taken in a hospital, I think) that had a really nice hi-lo chime tone that essentially went *hi-lo-hi* pause *hi-lo-hi*. Don't think there was a voice message, but I may be wrong. I'm not sure what the panel was, but the notification devices were Wheelock E-70s.
You mean this?
Remember: Fire alarms are serious and should not be ignored.
Instagram - YouTube
Want to say hello? everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 am

randomperson wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:15 am

You mean this?
Actually yeah... I'm not sure that's the exact video that I saw, but that's the tone.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 pm

That tone kind of reminds me of the chime in my mother's old Hyundai. xD
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Alexis_T
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:25 pm

This one would be my favorite:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7ElVIC6rY
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Sounds like the beginning to a Calvin Harris song. :P
Simplex 2903-9101
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am

I would have to choose the Siemens one where it changes gender halfway through the message. If that's not progress, I don't know what is.

But seriously, I would have to say that 4100U/ES slow whoop takes the cake for me. Due to the fact that the tone itself is a recording, it sounds much more "analog" than any of the other whoop tones. As for the message itself, I'd have to say either the "There has been a fire emergency reported in the building..." message, or no message at all.
Did you hear about the film director who collected fire alarms?
No Integrity and dozens of unwanted Advances.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 pm

Now that you bring that up, I wouldn't mind using that voice evac message with the changing gender. XD
mjb1124
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 pm

As far as slow whoops go, I like the classic 4100 whoop tone best. Sounds realistic and attention-grabbing, but not as startling as I think the U/ES one is.

That said, at the risk of being boring, I think 520Hz code 3 should be the standard.