Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 pm
Question: are the Wheelock 34T-24 horns just standalone or are they hooked up to anything?
The horn I saw was hooked up to a Fire-Lite BG-10. It's the same deal with the 7002T I saw hooked up to the A*T pull. I believe the detectors are hooked up separately.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:41 pm

No I mean was there any visual notification appliances hooked up to it?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 pm

I did a couple K-O the Kangaroo appearances at two more schools in Easton, MA today...

The Parkview Elementary School was built in 1961. I saw some kind of generic 3 or 4-gang annunciator in the main vestibule, possibly the original, but I didn't see the actual panel. All the alarm signals I saw were Wheelock NS-24MCW horn/strobes; in the cafegymatorium they were on what looked like Space Age AV32 backboxes and Wheelock RPR plates. The smoke detectors were a mix of System Sensor i3s and ESL 521Bs. But surprisingly, they still had the original Gamewell Vitaguard dual-action pull stations in use! (The same pulls my middle school had.) This suggests the school's original fire alarm system was probably a Gamewell FlexAlarm or something, probably with old Federal Signal horns or something like that.
I also saw the school's original Edwards master clock, broken and no longer in use. There were a few Edwards 340 6" Adaptabels left on the wall, not being used, along with at least one Edwards slave clock (both the same as my middle school) that was just sitting on a wall broken.

The Moreau Hall Elementary School was originally part of the nearby Stonehill College, built some time in the late 1940s or early 1950s, before becoming a public elementary school in 1981. They had a Summit System Technologies SFC-200 fire alarm system set up in a conventional manner, and in the main lobby there's an 80s-style Space Age Electronics annunciator that was probably installed with the Kidde system the school formerly had. The alarms were mostly Edwards Integrity horn/strobes on adapter plates that appear to be covering up where Space Age AV32 light plates were, but outside the cafeteria there was a Wheelock NS-24MCW horn/strobe that most likely replaced an Integrity that failed. The smoke detectors were again ESL 521Bs, and the pull stations were a mix of Kidde B5s and RSG T-bars rebranded by Easton Electronics; the latter had Stopper II covers installed over them.
In the main office I saw a Standard Electric Time 1460 master clock, still working but giving the incorrect time, and basically serves no purpose these days. As a result they don't use the school bells here either, which are 6" Standard-branded Faraday/Simplex bells (a.k.a. the "Hollywood Edge Premiere Edition" school bell) that are flush-mounted behind small Federal Signal-style grilles.
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:38 pm

There's an interesting small K-12 school in a small town about 45 minutes away from my house. The school is actually two buildings, both connected by a common entrance that houses the main office and gymnasium. The K-6 elementary portion of the school (the older building from the 1970s) has a 90s Notifier system with Notifier NBG-10 pull stations and Wheelock AS's and RS's with the vertical strobe. I don't think there are any smoke or heat detectors in this building; at least none that I saw. The 7-12 high school wing, along with the aforementioned entrance and gymnasium (built in 1989) has a much more recent addressable Siemens system with Siemens ZH horn/strobes and ZR remote strobes. Initiating devices are dual-action Siemens MS-501 pull stations, along with Siemens FP-11 smoke detectors. Despite technically being two independent buildings, both systems are tied together and controlled off of a single Siemens FC2005 control panel tied to a Notifier annunciator for the elementary building.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:49 pm

My elementary school had a vertical Wheelock AS that was located in a multipurpose room (which was primary used for enrichment classes) and it was the only code-3 horn in the school.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Yet another K-O the Kangaroo gig! This one was for a Little League opening game at the John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Canton, MA. The school was built in 1964 and then added onto in the late 90s, which is when most of the current fire alarm equipment was installed...
I didn't see any fire alarm panels, but in the main lobby there was a Fire-Lite ANN-80 annunciator that appeared to be mounted over where a Notifier LCD annunciator once was. The current panel is probably somewhere in the MS-9200 or -9600 series, and is replacing a conventional Notifier panel.
The main alarm signals I saw were Wheelock NS-24MCW horn/strobes, along with some RSS-24MCW remote strobes where additional coverage was needed. All the smoke detectors I saw were System Sensor 2451THs, and all the pull stations I saw were NBG-10Ls. (I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one BG-12 of some kind somewhere in the school replacing an NBG-10L.)
Outside I saw a few old Simplex 4027 10" bells that were obviously used as school bells; I don't know if they still use them. This suggests the school may have had a Simplex fire alarm system prior to the late 90s expansion, or at least a Simplex time system (I've seen numerous schools that would have an IBM/Simplex time system installed, but an Edwards or Gamewell fire alarm system.)
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RJARRRPCGP

Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Applebee's in West Lebanon, New Hampshire: A Simplex 4006 FACP with what I think are Gentex GOS signals. Also FCi MS-2 pull stations, which makes it likely that there was an FCi FC-72 FACP at one time, and thus possibly formerly had Wheelock 7002Ts or 7001Ts. People would likely be surprised to see no Simplex T-bar.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat May 04, 2019 2:17 pm

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 pm
Applebee's in West Lebanon, New Hampshire: A Simplex 4006 FACP with what I think are Gentex GOS signals. Also FCi MS-2 pull stations, which makes it likely that there was an FCi FC-72 FACP at one time, and thus possibly formerly had Wheelock 7002Ts or 7001Ts. People would likely be surprised to see no Simplex T-bar.
Yeah, I've seen a Simplex 4006 panel also replace another company's panel at a small motel in Braintree. While there is one newer Simplex pull, the rest of the old Edwards 270-SPOs are intact, along with Faraday 6020 horn/strobes, and a Wheelock AS (but that was probably installed with the Simplex 4006.) In other cases though, I'd see a Simplex 4006 replace an older Simplex panel like a 2001 or 4001.

So anyways, here in Brockton MA we now have a Dunkin' (Donuts) with the System Sensor L-series. They tore down one that was built in a really awkward design and rebuilt it from the ground up, and they put in a Fire-Lite system of some kind; inside they have PR2L horn/strobes and BG-12 pulls, along with an ANN-80 annunciator. I wasn't that surprised by the setup, as most of the Dunkies' in the area have System Sensor alarm signals; at one time most of them had SpectrAlert Classics, but now half of them have SpectrAlert Advances as well, so I knew it was only a matter of time before a Dunkies' here had the L-series installed.
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat May 04, 2019 7:36 pm

when did they get installed
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 am

I don't even remember a Dunkin' Donuts that I went to in Vermont, even having signals, except for maybe a sprinkler bell. And thus, IIRC, it would be like a common 1920s building!
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 am

Buffalo Grove theatre has a Fire-Lite Sensiscan 2000 system with a SINGLE MASSADA horn/strobe at the front door. No other area as far as I’m aware has an NA. No visible pull stations or smoke detectors either, although the pulls would probably be of the BG-10 series or most likely lower.
idontwannaknow / he/him / 17 / im bored lol
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 pm

I hope that the alarm is loud for the whole theater then...
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun May 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 pm
I hope that the alarm is loud for the whole theater then...
Knowing how loud MASSes are, very much not. An upgrade is inevitable.
idontwannaknow / he/him / 17 / im bored lol
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun May 05, 2019 9:31 pm

I think I was in West Springfield, Massachusetts today and saw that the Golden Corral has the usual-looking pull station from a Honeywell subsidiary and red wall-mount SpectrAlert Advances, which looked like horn/strobes, but I don't know for sure, LOL.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue May 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Today I did a K-O the Kangaroo appearance for the Richardson-Olmsted Elementary School in Easton, MA. Unlike the previous three schools I performed at recently in the same town, this was a much bigger and newer building (built in 1997 so it's almost 22 years old, but still a lot more modern-looking than the others!) The school has an EST3 voice-evac fire alarm system, but the panel (located in an entrance vestibule) had the modern EST logo with the "E" shield, so it's probably not original, but is a direct upgrade/replacement for a slightly older EST voice-evac panel. The alarms are mainly EST Integrity speaker/strobes, with single-gang Integrity remote strobes in the restrooms. Smoke detectors are older SIGA-PS heads, and the pulls are SIGA-278s with Stopper II covers. I also saw what looked like an EST annunciator housing in the cafetorium, but the glass part was black; probably a relic from the previous EST system they had (the pulls and detectors had the older EST logo on them, so they are obviously original.) Other than the more modern EST3, this is a fairly typical type of late 90s/early 2000s EST voice-evac system that was often installed in newly-constructed school buildings in my area (including in Brockton.)