Fire, Lockdown, Severe Weather, Tornado, Shelter-in-Place, and other Emergency Drills for the 2019-2020 Academic Year

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

That is not good that they didn't get someone to replace the fan motor after the part was recalled. They were lucky the fire wasn't worse.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:02 pm
That is not good that they didn't get someone to replace the fan motor after the part was recalled. They were lucky the fire wasn't worse.
Unfortunately many people don't care about dehumidifiers as long as they work.

Many other fires - causing tens of millions of dollars in damage - have occurred around the country due to these defective dehumidifiers.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Has any deaths occurred from these faulty dehumidifiers malfunctioning and catching fire? If they haven't yet, I fear it's only a matter of time before it DOES happen and that will be sad.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Today as I was leaving the Fine Arts building at my college, I could hear a SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe sounding in Code-3. At first I thought it was the one they installed outside the Student Center last summer, but then I followed the direction of the sound and figured it was the nearby Home Depot, which has an Advance in their outdoor gardening section. It was probably another false alarm there, as that's happened before. (What with SpectrAlert Advances being so common, it'd be natural for me to initially think that one I heard was somewhere on campus, since four buildings have them, including the Fine Arts building!)
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I have accepted long ago that the universe is gonna be full of alarms that came solely from System Sensor whether they be SpectrAlert Advances or the L-Series.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fire drill today!

Just when you thought my school's fire alarm system couldn't get even more confusing...

I had previously noticed a Wheelock DV-100 voice-evac panel rebranded by Cerberus Pyrotronics, right above the main panel. The main panel (an MXL) has voice-evac, so I wasn't sure what the DV-100 was for... turns out it serves the cafeteria and library.

So, ready for the video?

The MXL's built-in voice-evac serves the technology office, media center, auditorium and gym.
Several people who were in these areas told me that it does this tone and message (different speaker/strobes, but you get the idea.)
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

So your school not only has horn/strobes, but two sets of speaker/strobes that have different messages when they go off rather than the same message? This just keeps on getting more and more odd. Though honestly if they were all electromechanical horns I would be VERY interested. XD
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:16 pm
So your school not only has horn/strobes, but two sets of speaker/strobes that have different messages when they go off rather than the same message? This just keeps on getting more and more odd. Though honestly if they were all electromechanical horns I would be VERY interested. XD
Yes - and this was all installed at the same time!

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

That is what makes it even more insane then.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

so because of the coronavirus, this might be the end of any system activations i see from my school, since i won't be at school. theres a possibility that we'll open back up in april, but until then, that's a wrap for me until collage.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I'm pretty sure that even AFTER the Coronavirus does pass that most schools will end up doing less fire drills than they should because they want to be extra cautious.
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms

My assumption is that even if schools do go back into session in late April or early May (which at this point looks like the absolute best-case scenario), so much instruction time will have been lost that all safety drill requirements for the remainder of the year will probably be suspended in most states. After all, it would make no sense in states that require monthly drills to conduct three fire drills in a week just to "make up" for lost drills and lose out on 10-15 minutes of crucial instruction time for each drill. I'd imagine safety drills are pretty low on the priority list for admins right now anyways.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

My elementary school sometimes did 3 fire drills in a week though they were spaced out as to not disrupt the same lesson that we were in. But the drills were done two days a week so one day we would have one drill in the morning and another in the afternoon since we had AM and PM kindergarten.
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Fire Alarm Tech

I'll be locking the thread due to the school year being over, but we'll open up a new one as we get close to the 2020-2021 school year! (Hopefully schools are back to normal again, at least for some of us.)
Zach - Administrator & Site Owner
Former Fire Alarm Technician for a local company in the Chicago Area, Full Time Student
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/FireAlarmTech