How had fellow classmates reacted to their first time hearing Voice Evac?

During the fire drill on wednesday most of the girls were covering their ears before the speakers sounded, and when they did they were all like “wait what” and a few kids were like “oh, this isn’t loud”. I know my story is kinda vague but I wanna hear your guys’.

I remember one person at my high school saying it was creepy (the voice EVAC is EST)

At my college there is a Wheelock SafePath Voice Evac and my roommate said “Welp, That is a change from normal. My school had loud buzzers”. Other kids say stuff like “OMG THAT SPEAKER TALKS???” and “That is not loud”.

they follow the voice

Does it count if the system doesn’t play a message?

[quote=randomperson post_id=84866 time=1566275822 user_id=3878]

Does it count if the system doesn’t play a message?

[/quote]

Mine does play one but the alarm would still be much quieter even if it doesnt.

So interesting story to mine.

In our drama class, we had a guest alumni teach a choreography session. We were working on warm ups with some music when the fire alarm sounded - the standard Potter EVAX tone and message. A lot of people including me initially thought the alarm to be some wierd remix of the music, until it continued to sound and the strobes flashed.
It was hilarious to see the guest’s reaction (her face was wide open in disbelief) as this drill was completely uncalled for.

I bet this may not have been the first time but considering the unexpectancy of the event I think it would be safe to assume this can count.

Probably the most significant was when I was in high school. The high school I went to has an EST3 Voice Evac system with Genesis Speaker strobes. Usually during the first drill of the year, the freshmen would be amazed with the fact the fire alarms “talked,” as opposed to a loud buzz from a horn. When finally outside, I would hear comments such as “wow, the fire alarm talks to you,” or “this is amazing, the fire drill talks to you.” (that last part is a true story). My memory about it is a little fuzzy, this was around 8-9 years ago at this point.

By the time in my school career that I first heard voice evac, it was when I was in college and the alarms went off because somebody ended up burning food in the staff lounge TWICE and not because of a drill (which it seems that my college NEVER has). The alarms were SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes (at first I thought that they were horn/strobes) replacing Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers (never heard the system, but I always assumed the alarms were in march time for some reason) though they were replacing them at first with Wheelock Exceeders before they realized they needed voice evac so between semesters there were Exceeders that were up before they were taken down. Anyway at that point most of the students in my class didn’t really get phased by hearing it or wondering what it was and were more annoyed that we were still having fire drills in college. Other than that, there really wasn’t anything else of note during the two times I was there when the alarm went off. Other than I was shocked for a quarter of a second that it was voice evac.

This was what was the alarm tone and message was. Though I thought that the tone before the message was slower and only went off three times instead of six but I might be misremembering since this happened 7 years ago.

(c) nightfly287