What's the loudest fire alarm that you've heard?

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.

What's the loudest fire alarm horn/strobe?

SpectrAlert Classic
No votes
SpectrAlert Advance/L-Series
17%
Wheelock AS
7%
Wheelock NS
No votes
Wheelock ZNS
No votes
Wheelock Exceder
No votes
Wheelock 7002T
3%
Wheelock EHS
No votes
EST Integrity
No votes
EST Genesis
10%
Pre-Integrity
No votes
Edwards 892
No votes
Gentex Commander 3
3%
Gentex SHG
No votes
Simplex TrueAlert
17%
Simplex 4050
No votes
Simplex 2901-9838
No votes
SImplex 4903-9252 (pre-TrueAlert)
7%
Siemens U-MMT
10%
other
27%

Total votes: 30
fierlarmz_09
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

This is the first poll that I ever made. What's the loudest fire alarm that you heard?
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Horns and Strobes

I chose the Wheelock 7002t and it is loud on all settings! My middle school had them
not really active anymore
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Wheelock MT horn/strobes on Continuous Horn, while I was passing by a building. (many years ago, so I don't know where it was)
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

The newer TrueAlerts are so much louder than the older models, especially on code-3. I can stand continuous TrueAlerts however which is weird lol.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

It depends on where the horn is for me to decide if it is louder than usually and a bit uncomfortable. For example, the 4051s at my middle school weren't that bad but the ones in the science wing were for some reason louder than the rest of the school. A 9838 in my high school that was in a hallway that lead down a stairwell and was a direct exit for the teen center was also louder than usual but figured that was because that hallway passage was concrete.

Regardless, the loudest alarm for me would have to be the 2DCD. My high school had two of them and they were just on the verge of being ear-piercing. One was in the assessment center which became a secondary computer lab and when it went off, I swear it made the computers in there end up going a bit staticky. The one outside the room near the Cosmetology shop wasn't much better.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

idontwannaknow wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 pm The newer TrueAlerts are so much louder than the older models, especially on code-3. I can stand continuous TrueAlerts however which is weird lol.
You mean the 4906 ones, including the conventional multi-candela 4906-9127? Yes, they are one of the loudest electronic horn/strobes out there, just as loud as the System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance and the Wheelock AS!
But they can't beat the Simplex 4040 horns on Continuous at my old high school!
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

For me...

Electronic:
  • Wheelock MT
  • Gentex Commander 2 & 3 (Mechanical)
  • System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance
Mechanical:
  • Simplex 2901-9833+2903-9101
  • Federal Signal 450D+VALS
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

For me, the loudest electronic horn would have to be the classic SpectrAlert which makes me SHUDDER to think how loud the Advance and L-Series will be. Once again, it may have been the room, but in my high school, there was a classic SpectrAlert in the lecture hall and even on code-3 in there it was pretty loud, but that might have been because it was a bit echo-y or the room was an odd shape (almost like a triangle on its side.)
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
nightfly287
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

This poll is missing the Space Age 2DCD (2901-9806), which several users over the years have claimed to be the loudest alarm they'd ever heard. I've never heard one in person.
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

You should be glad for that because I think the ones at my high school also made my teeth vibrate on occasion. :lol:
Simplex4Life
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Electronic: tie between the Gentex Commander 2 on Code 3 Mechanical and the Siemens U-MMT on Continuous Horn. I find the U-MMT's to be much more irritating though.

Electromechanical: definitely the Standard Electric Time 30A. Those things are brutal.
If you laugh so hard that milk comes out of your nose, put it in your brother's cereal. After all, it's good to recycle - Lori Beth Denberg
Alexis_T
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

I'd say that my Amseco BZ-50P/BZ-50BP takes the cake with the icing and the cherry on top, even at 12V it felt like I had a very large speaker blaring straight to my face.
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Was your face right in front of it? XD
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

I just got a brand new Edwards 881D-AW, flush mount adaptahorn, and this thing is very very very loud! Tried it out and my ears were ringing for a minute after
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I think a good idea for people who are starting fire alarm collections or have them already is to get some sort of noise protection. LOL