Mock systems in buildings

I’m making this topic because my post on Work/School fire alarms blew up. My school is located in a plaza. It has 2 systems. The main, life safety system is a Notifier NFS-3030, with a mix of NBG-12LXs and Notifier MPS-950Bs, and a combination of System Sensor P2Rs and Mircom FHS-240Rs. There is also a mock system, used for drills. It is a Potter conventional system (panel model unknown), with SH-1224 horns and no initiating devices. I am interested to see if anyone else has seen a building with this kind of setup before.

[quote="YYC Fire Alarms" post_id=85726 time=1577288146 user_id=4467]

I’m making this topic because my post on Work/School fire alarms blew up. My school is located in a plaza. It has 2 systems. The main, life safety system is a Notifier NFS-3030, with a mix of NBG-12LXs and Notifier MPS-950Bs, and a combination of System Sensor P2Rs and Mircom FHS-240Rs. There is also a mock system, used for drills. It is a Potter conventional system (panel model unknown), with SH-1224 horns and no initiating devices. I am interested to see if anyone else has seen a building with this kind of setup before.

[/quote]

Is the mock system mounted on a board? You were unclear about that.

[quote=RSSAlarms post_id=85729 time=1577292211 user_id=4672] [quote="YYC Fire Alarms" post_id=85726 time=1577288146 user_id=4467]

[/quote]

Is the mock system mounted on a board? You were unclear about that.

[/quote]

Oh, my bad. It’s not on a board. The panel is in an electrical room, and there are 2 horns in the building, one in each hallway (the school is extremely small, about the size of a house). The system is set up in a similar manner to a typical system, except there’s no initiating devices.

Can’t say I have ever heard of that before but then again I haven’t heard of a school being set up in either a commercial building or a commercial space.

Is the main NFS-3030 part of the whole plaza of just the school? Cause my guess would be the mock system is just for them to do fire drills, while the main system controls the rest of the plaza.

From what he said, it sounds like that there is a Potter panel that controls the horns for the school.

[quote=EdwardsFan post_id=85836 time=1578278028 user_id=85]

Is the main NFS-3030 part of the whole plaza of just the school? Cause my guess would be the mock system is just for them to do fire drills, while the main system controls the rest of the plaza.

[/quote]

The NFS-3030 covers the entire plaza, including the school’s Mircom Horn/Strobes. The Potter panel controls the Potter SH-1224 horns.

Sometimes mock systems are put in to train maintenance personnel on the same system they will be working on without disturbing the occupants in the building by setting off the actual system

I remember back in high school the electrical shop had a small and simple board that fire alarms were mounted to and one of the teachers set one off once just so we could see how it worked. In the theory room there was an alarm mounted also to the wall but I think that was just for show and not connected to anything.

[quote="YYC Fire Alarms" post_id=85841 time=1578339263 user_id=4467] [quote=EdwardsFan post_id=85836 time=1578278028 user_id=85]

[/quote]

The NFS-3030 covers the entire plaza, including the school’s Mircom Horn/Strobes. The Potter panel controls the Potter SH-1224 horns.

[/quote]

A little update on this: user Chase Reinhardt and I did a little bit of poking around and now have a new theory on the system. We believe that the Potter horns, as they do march time, are set up on the unused agent release circuit, and are manually activated via an annunciator or panel for fire drills. The staff at my school aren’t at all supportive of my interests, so they won’t give me an answer about where the panel is, or what the setup is. Because of that, I have no evidence on either theory. But things have led me to believe that the NFS-3030 controls the Potter horns.